• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Under-age drink sales prompt Brighton and Hove police warning to shop bosses

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 22 Dec, 2021 at 3:39PM
A A
1
High-level criminals target Brighton shops with smuggled and counterfeit wines and spirits

Two businesses sold alcoholic drinks to under-age teenagers during a series of test purchases in Brighton and Hove organised by Sussex Police, the force said today (Wednesday 22 December).

It was the second test in a row to have been failed by both premises.

Four other businesses with an “off licence” – a licence to sell alcohol to be taken off the premises – passed the test.

The results come after tests two months ago found that one off-licence out of 12 served an under-age customer.

Sussex Police said today: “Brighton and Hove’s licensing officers have carried out the latest round of under-age test purchases at off-licences across the city.

“Under Operation Teepee, the Licensing Team employs under-age volunteers to attempt to buy alcohol from off-licences, to check whether vendors ask for proof of age.

“If an operator fails the test, licensing officers will educate them on the terms of their licence, review these conditions and take enforcement action if necessary.

“On Thursday 9 December, six off-licences were inspected in the latest round of Operation Teepee checks.

“Four premises passed – two of which were re-tests of stores which had previously failed.

“Another two off-licences which failed last time were re-tested and both failed to carry out the proper checks this time around.

“One member of staff will be prosecuted under the Licensing Act 2003 after they served the underage volunteers for the initial failure and then again during the failed re-test.

“Enforcement action will also be taken against the two premises which failed their re-tests.”

Inspector Michelle Palmer-Harris said: “It was disappointing to see two premises failed for a second time and appropriate action will be taken.

“We were very pleased that four premises passed and will continue to support them.

“As a Licensing Team we will continue to ensure alcohol vendors are adhering to their responsibilities, not only during the festive period but into the new year.”

Last month Sussex Police said: “Over the course of 2021 … seven premises served volunteers under the age of 18.

“Five of these had conditions added to their licences, six were issued with formal warnings and met with licensing officers and one designated premises supervisor will be prosecuted.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Nathan Adler says:
    5 years ago

    Once is not good, the second time is simply showing its common practice. License should be revoked for a couple of months

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Under-age drink sales prompt Brighton and Hove police warning to shop bosses

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
December 2021
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News