• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Sussex University astronomer prepares for Christmas Day launch of James Webb Telescope

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 25 Dec, 2021 at 12:10AM
A A
0
Sussex University astronomer prepares for Christmas Day launch of James Webb Telescope

The James Webb Space Telescope

A Sussex University astronomer is preparing for the Christmas Day launch of the James Webb Space Telescope today.

The James Webb Space Telescope

Stephen Wilkins, head of astronomy at Sussex, leads a team of scientists who will be among the first to use the Webb Telescope to find and study the most distant objects in the universe.

The Webb Telescope is the successor to the Hubble and is due to launch at 12.20pm – or 7.20am on the eastern seaboard of America.

Dr Wilkins said: “The James Webb Space Telescope is the long-awaited successor to Hubble, which launched more than 31 years ago.

“Like Hubble, we expect Webb to transform our understanding the universe from our own backyard, the solar system, to the very first stars and galaxies to form almost 14 billion years.

“Here at the University of Sussex, we’ll use Webb to study the distant universe, including hopefully finding examples of the first stars and galaxies to form.

“I study the most distant galaxies in the universe, observed only a few hundred million years after the Big Bang.

“These galaxies are faint – partly because they’re so far away but also because they haven’t had time to form many stars yet – and their light is shifted into the infrared by the expansion of the universe.

“These galaxies are effectively ‘invisible’ to existing observatories. Webb, with its large mirror and infrared optimisation, however, should be able to see them.

“Webb is so much more powerful than its predecessors that we might find something entirely unanticipated – an ‘unknown unknown’ to quote Donald Rumsfeld.

“Astronomy is littered with examples where looking at the universe in more detail has thrown up new mysteries, eg, dark matter and dark energy.”

But what would happen if the launch failed? Dr Wilkins said: “Unfortunately there is nothing that will replace Webb’s combination of sensitivity and infrared coverage.

“However, there are a couple of other observatories coming online that will help us explore. For example, ESA’s Euclid (due to launch in 2023) and NASA’s Roman Space Telescope (late 2020s) are both wide area infrared space telescopes.

“Their wide field of view will allow us to find rare but bright galaxies present in the early universe.

“We’re also building a new generation of ground-based telescopes, including the Extremely Large Telescope (ELT). The ELT will allow us to study objects in great detail.”

What’s so special about the Webb Telescope? Dr Wilkins said: “It’s really the extremely sensitive infrared coverage and the fact Webb will obtain both imaging and spectroscopy.

“The latter is vital for probing the composition of alien atmospheres and tracking how heavy elements are built up across the history of the universe.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Sussex University astronomer prepares for Christmas Day launch of James Webb Telescope

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
December 2021
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News