• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Planners give verdict on driveway homes

by Frank le Duc
Friday 6 May, 2022 at 8:16AM
A A
0
Planners give verdict on driveway homes

A developer can build six homes on an old driveway after councillors approved a planning application.

Brighton and Hove City Council’s Planning Committee voted six to one in favour of Timothy Jennings’s plans to build six one-bedroom homes on the plot near Southern Cross.

The site is next to St Nicolas (Church of England) Primary School in Locks Hill and close to Brackenbury Primary School.

The land was once the driveway for a villa known as Greenways, which was demolished and replaced by a block of flats with the same name in the 1970s.

South Portslade Labour councillor Les Hamilton spoke against the application when the Planning Committee met on Wednesday (4 May).

He said: “These buildings – referred to as sheds by some residents – will be detrimental to the Portslade Conservation Area.

“The narrow nature of the site rules out the use of vehicle access. There is no vehicle access to these properties, just cycle and pedestrian access. How the construction will be carried out is unclear.”

Councillor Hamilton was concerned about how emergency vehicles would reach the properties from Locks Hill.

Mr Jennings’s agent, Joseph Pearson, of Lewis and Co Planning, said that the site was unconventional but the designs were in keeping with the natural features.

He said: “The new homes are semi-detached dwellings built to a high standard. They will be produced off-site and assembled on site so it’s going to be a much quicker and less disruptive construction process for neighbours.”

Labour councillor Daniel Yates was enthusiastic about the project and hoped to see more developments like it in other parts of the city.

He said: “I love it. I think this is an incredibly innovative set of proposals. We have to start changing the narrative around development in this city.

“This starts to show, even in the most difficult and constrained sites, we can still find ways to deliver appropriate accommodation.”

Conservative councillor Carol Theobald was the lone vote against granting planning permission. She said: “I think this is going a bit too far, building on a driveway.

“The places are so far apart. I do think the emergency services and refuse are a problem – and parking.”

Green councillor Marianna Ebel dismissed concerns about emergency access to the site because other homes had different access issues.

She said: “We would have to refuse all the high-rise buildings because you can’t park on the 15th floor. You need some time to get up there.

“This is accessible. People can access the houses so I see no reason to refuse it. It’s a great use of space and we need housing.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Planners give verdict on driveway homes

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
May 2022
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News