• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Campaigners delighted as council delays Royal Mail lease decision

by Frank le Duc
Friday 29 Jul, 2022 at 10:02PM
A A
0
Royal Mail deal for homes and jobs goes before councillors

How the proposed Royal Mail premises in Patcham could look

Campaigners are jubilant after a decision to sell farmland on the edge of Brighton and Hove to the Royal Mail was put on hold.

Councillors had been due to discuss a long lease for Patcham Court Farm, in Vale Avenue, Brighton, this afternoon (Friday 29 July).

In return, Brighton and Hove City Council and its joint venture partner Hyde Housing would have entered talks with the Royal Mail to buy two redundant sites for housing.

The joint venture, Homes for Brighton and Hove, would have had an exclusive four-month opportunity to agree a deal for the delivery office sites in North Road, Brighton, and Denmark Villas, Hove.

But the Green council leadership dropped the proposal before a special meeting of the council’s Policy and Resources Committee at Hove Town Hall this afternoon.

People in Patcham were concerned that councillors were prepared to agree a lease days after the Royal Mail submitted a planning application for the disused farmland.

Members of the Patcham Against Royal Mail campaign group lobbied council officials to put the decision on hold until the Planning Committee had made its decision which could be some time away.

Since the planning application was published on the council’s website last week, more than 200 people have submitted objections, while three comments have been left in support of the scheme.

Campaign member Rebecca Kimber said: “It’s great news that the decision has been put on hold. Hopefully, this indicates that residents’ concerns are now being taken seriously.

“But it’s vital we maintain pressure to ensure that continued attempts to push this unsuitable and unwanted development through do not go unchallenged.”

Conservative councillors Alistair McNair and Anne Meadows, who represent Patcham ward on the council, back the campaigners.

Fellow Tory councillor Carol Theobald, who also represents Patcham, has stayed out of the debate because she is a member of the Planning Committee and is required to keep an open mind.

Councillor McNair said that he had been prepared to oppose the lease proposal at the town hall meeting today.

He said that he had been shocked that a report that was due to be debated today had said that there was “positive support” for the project.

How the proposed Royal Mail premises in Patcham could look

He said: “I am delighted this report has been removed from today’s committee. It should never have been brought to this committee and bore little resemblance to residents’ experience of the process so far.

“Councillor Anne Meadows and I worked hard with Councillor Steve Bell to take this off the agenda, and many thanks to residents for so clearly and cogently voicing their disapproval of the scheme.”

Councillor Meadows said: “I’m pleased to see the report has been pulled but am concerned that it is only a temporary reprieve.

“This is because Councillor (Phélim) Mac Cafferty has stated that the lease report will still go before Policy and Resources Committee prior to any planning application being considered.

“The council prides itself on being one council yet here we have two departments pretending they are separate – and that confuses many residents.

“We will be helping our residents in Patcham navigate the processes they will have thrown in their way as the community stands up to this plan.”

Patcham Court Farm from the north

Councillor Mac Cafferty, the Green leader of the council, said that the decision on Patcham Court Farm had been dropped today after discussions with the Labour and Conservative political leaders.

The council said that the decision was withdrawn so that officers “can continue to explore every viable option for housing on the sites being vacated by Royal Mail” and listen to residents’ views.

The council added: “It’s imperative that councillors feel they have all the available information and options so that they can make an informed and fully considered decision about the future of Patcham Court Farm and securing Royal Mail jobs in the city. This will take more time to provide.”

The land fell into disuse about 30 years ago after it was cut off from neighbouring farmland by the A27 Brighton bypass.

Patcham Court Farm from the south

Previous plans to develop the site have fallen through, from a park and ride to a hotel proposal, with people raising concerns about the potential pollution of the water source under the site.

Patcham also has a history of flooding, which neighbours have raised in the past, concerned about the extra run-off if the site is surfaced with concrete.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Campaigners delighted as council delays Royal Mail lease decision

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
July 2022
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News