• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Community project wins £800k for proposed youth centre on Hove estate

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Friday 31 Mar, 2023 at 12:01AM
A A
2
Community project wins £800k for proposed youth centre on Hove estate

Hangleton and Knoll Project proposed youth centre, left, and the existing Knoll Pavilion - Picture courtesy of Architecture00

Children and young people in Hangleton and Knoll could soon have a new youth centre which will also act as a testbed for a wider national approach.

The £800,000 youth centre is a step closer after Green and Labour councillors voted to lease a corner of the Knoll Rec to the Hangleton and Knoll Project.

The Hove scheme, which is subject to planning permission, is being funded by the government which chose it as one of four pilot schemes across the country.

The aim is to build and run a youth centre in an energy-efficient modular building in a way that can be replicated elsewhere, with a grant from the government’s Youth Investment Fund.

It is part of a drive to extend sustainable youth services. The proposed building at the Knoll Rec would include solar panels and a heat exchanger to help keep running costs down.

Labour councillor John Allcock asked a series of questions at a meeting of Brighton and Hove City Council’s Policy and Resources Urgency Sub-Committee at Hove Town Hall yesterday (Thursday 30 March).

Councillor Allcock asked whether the council could end up saddled with any part of the bill but was told that, while there was a risk, it was low.

He also asked the Hangleton and Knoll Project chief executive Jo Martindale whether any consultation had been carried out.

She said that the proposal had been well-received by the wider community after leaflet drops to hundreds of nearby homes, social media posts and a public meeting in November.

The site included the Hangleton Bowls Club, which was trying to recruit more members and would also benefit from the project.

She said: “As a result of an initial meeting (with the bowls club), not only were they happy to give up part of their land, we have a support package in place with them where we’re helping them attract additional members and raise funds to subsidise that.”

The Hangleton and Knoll Community Youth Project was already working with dozens of young people from the Knoll estate and surrounding area in the rec which is also known as Knoll Park.

Some of its work, with vulnerable young men, was being funded by a local charity, the Pebble Trust, in an area that ranked in the top 10 per cent of most deprived areas in the country.

A council review also identified historic underinvestment in the area, the lack of a suitable venue and the high level of need in the area.

Councillor Allcock said that the proposals included an attractive and appropriate building, adding: “I feel very reassured about the strategic value of this particular project.

“I am grateful for the work that’s been put in to apply for this. I’d be happy to support it.”

The Green leader of the council Phélim Mac Cafferty said that the outcome would be better services for children and young people in one of the poorer fringe areas of Brighton and Hove.

Councillor Mac Cafferty said: “There are far too many children and young people who have never been to the seaside. I imagine Hangleton and Knoll are exactly those sorts of places.

“When young people feel far away from the centre, they’ll feel far away financially, they’ll feel far away time-wise, but this will hopefully help bring services to them.

“This is one of the most deprived areas – one in four children are living in poverty – so anything that the local authority can do to alleviate that pain is a powerful thing.”

He praised the work and expertise of the Hangleton and Knoll Project in the field and said that this scheme was wonderful news for children and young people in the area.

Both councillors voted to accept a grant worth £776,500 from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) and to ask town hall officials to liaise with civil servants for some extra related funding.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Hoot von Suit says:
    3 years ago

    Councillor Allcock asked whether the council could end up saddled with any part of the bill but was told that, while there was a risk, it was low.

    Like the i360?

    Reply
    • Emma says:
      1 year ago

      To be fair this is an actually useful project for residents, unlike the i360

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Community project wins £800k for proposed youth centre on Hove estate

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA arrives at Malmaison Brighton Marina

22 May 2026
Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
March 2023
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News