• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Hundreds of empty school places as new term starts in Brighton and Hove

Birthrate locally drops much faster than national average, councillors told

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Tuesday 12 Sep, 2023 at 12:50PM
A A
22
Schools chief urges ministers to cancel SATs, GCSEs and A levels again

Picture by David Hawgood / Creative Commons

The drop in the number of children starting school this month is much greater than the national average, councillors were told yesterday (Monday 11 September).

Birthrates have fallen nationally, with a nationwide drop of 6 per cent over the past decade, according to census data.

But in Brighton and Hove, the number of four-year-olds starting school had fallen by 22 per cent.

As a result, hundreds of reception class places were empty across Brighton and Hove at the start of the new school year.

Green councillor Sue Shanks asked for the figures for filled places rather than unfilled places for this year’s September intake at a Brighton and Hove City Council committee meeting today (Monday 11 September).

At the council’s Children, Families and Learning Committee meeting she asked what steps the council was taking to “ensure efficiency across primary schools” before next September for the 2024-25 school year.

In recent years, the council has cut admissions at larger schools across Brighton and Hove as pupil numbers keep falling.

Labour councillor Lucy Helliwell, who co-chairs the Children, Families and Learning Committee, said that there were 369 unfilled places in reception classes across Brighton and Hove this September, equating to 14 per cent of the total available places.

But she could not say how many places had been filled this year until the school census had taken place in October, she said.

The results should be made available by January when the committee is due to discuss admission arrangements for September 2025.

A proposal is expected to be presented to the committee in November and to be the subject of a consultation.

Councillor Helliwell said: “We will continue to liaise with schools on the number of primary places available next September to avoid excessive amounts of unfilled places.

“For example, a variation to a school’s published admission number might be made so they take in a reduced maximum number of children.”

Councillor Shanks asked if schools could close.

Councillor Helliwell did not say yes or no but said that she and her co-chair, Councillor Jacob Taylor, were talking with governors and head teachers about ways to tackle surplus spaces.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 22

  1. Benjamin says:
    3 years ago

    This is a symptom of housing affordability and availability in the city. I am concerned about this going into a death spiral; schools lose out on funding due to the lack of numbers, jobs are cut, school places shrink, school becomes unviable, and then the school shuts down.

    I believe AirBnB has a major influence on this; as of yesterday’s scraped data, there are 5,400 STR properties active in the city, with 40% of them being only available for three months or less, meaning the city loses 3,240 years of living due to empty properties, every year, at least. Then if you want to contextualise that in terms of people, based on the average of 2.36 per household, that’s just shy of 153 working lifetimes (16-66 years old).

    No wonder there is a housing crisis. The numbers are shocking.

    Reply
    • Sarah+the+Starfish says:
      3 years ago

      This is just nonsense. Families want cheap housing which you find in places like Hanover etc. This is now filled with students, HMOs and commuters with nominal AirBnBs and prices have risen. The population has also risen which has put more demand on housing. The numbers of AirBnBs is also nonsense as most properties have up to 4 listings and many leave the market after a few months and go into 6 month winter lets.

      Move a few miles away to Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath and Worthing and housing is much cheaper and the schools of a much higher standard. Brighton school places also expanded far more a few years ago as Brighton was a desirable place for EU migrants to settle. If we have fewer students and fewer schools so what. Hopefully, this will mean the standard of schools raise as the best teachers are retained and we just go back to the number of school places we used to have.

      Reply
      • Benjamin says:
        3 years ago

        I’ve explained why your opinion is not correct already I’m afraid the first time you posted this, and I’ve also explained how figures cater for the seasonality aspect, Sarah. I’ve also already replied why reducing child placements is actually a detriment to the quality of a school.

        Reply
      • Patric says:
        3 years ago

        The schools in the areas you mention are certainly not of a higher standard.

        Reply
  2. Sue Tuck says:
    3 years ago

    Stop letting local houses to students. There are enough student flats in the town now. If there are hundreds of students in houses. Families have nowhere to live. So there will be hardly any children in the area to go to school.
    Also by renting local houses to students, it puts the cost of housing up. So youngsters have to move away to afford rent or a mortgage.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      3 years ago

      Simple figures show that there are not enough student flats in Brighton to cater for the universities, not even close. If you think students are the problem, then you’d be supportive of additional student housing, because that’s the fix to reduce spillage into the private rental market – even though, generally speaking, student lets are purpose-built, and aren’t used for family homes, so have no impact on this particular issue.

      Reply
  3. Teresa Lipson says:
    3 years ago

    Brexit. The gift that keeps on giving. Shortage of nurses and hospitality workers with young families. Numbers of primary school kids shot up with the advent of Polish workers who have now returned home to a more welcoming climate

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      3 years ago

      It’s a lack of social housing that’s the main issue here. Nothing else comes close.

      Reply
  4. Bear Road resident says:
    3 years ago

    Of course the number of children is going to drop and will keep dropping. Brighton does nothing to encourage families to live here. Ridiculous rent/house prices, a chronic lack of shops and where any housing is built it is invariably for students or ‘young professionals’

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      3 years ago

      Student housing would have never been for anything else, so it’s not a good argument on that side. If you’re referring to the development in the middle of Brighton…personally I don’t think that HMO in sheep’s clothing is going to get past planning permission – it can’t deliver on its promise of affordable housing.

      Reply
    • Some guy says:
      3 years ago

      A chronic lack of shops? I can assure you there are plenty in town.

      Reply
      • Benjamin says:
        3 years ago

        To be fair, his road is pretty…bare.

        Reply
      • Nope1975 says:
        3 years ago

        He’s right, there are not the resources. Shelves are empty in Aldi London road and that monstrosity of alleged affordable housing at the end of Preston Park will only exacerbate when the DFLs occupy them. Churchill square is a dystopian nightmare with to let signs everywhere. Plenty of litter, graffiti (not the artistic kind).

        Reply
  5. Cleaningbear says:
    3 years ago

    Schools need pupils to get funding which is based on Published Admissions Number (PAN). Fewer pupils means less funding for the school. No funding for one to one SEN children. 53 percent of Brighton and Hove schools already published a budget deficit due to reduced PAN. It’s a big problem for all schools in the city.

    Reply
  6. Not telling says:
    3 years ago

    I grew up here in the 80s/90s/00s. About 5% of my school friends were and always will be council tenants and so will stay in Brighton and Hove. 95% of my school friends who were not and are not council tenants have moved to Lancing, Worthing, Burgess Hill, and increasingly moving further afield – Eastbourne,Seaford, Newhaven as they can actually afford to nicely house their families there. No kids will live in Brighton and Hove any more except those of the very very wealthy (who will probably attend private school) and council tenants. Interesting times afoot. Affordable housing is needed.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      3 years ago

      Affordable housing is definitely needed.

      Reply
  7. Anon says:
    3 years ago

    Student housing in Brighton is only built and let to first year students. All subsequent years are expected to find accommodation in the private rented sector. Could this be why BHCC charge Brighton and Hove residents double the average council tax of London? After all, students do not pay council tax.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      3 years ago

      Incorrect. It is majority first-year students. Who then choose to go into the private rental sector, usually because they’ve found a group of people they get on within the first year. However, any year can book into student accommodation.

      Reply
  8. Car Delenda Est says:
    3 years ago

    Labour have always been determined to turn Brighton into a town you drive through, not live in.
    This is a simple result of years of their policy.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      3 years ago

      That’s objectively not true though, is it Delenda? Most policies that have been enacted that do as you describe have been Green-led. Please try to be accurate. I have noticed you make a lot of disingenuous comments.

      Reply
      • Car Delenda Est says:
        3 years ago

        Talk about disingenuous…
        Can you name one example of the Greens prioritising private motor traffic over pedestrians, cyclists or public transport?
        That dogma belongs to Labour and their Tory doppelgangers.

        Curious what else you think I’ve said has been disingenuous? I mostly challenge Challis’s fantasies and fabrications.

        Reply
  9. Richard says:
    3 years ago

    https://www.statista.com/statistics/281416/birth-rate-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

    The birthrate has been declining for years and the rate of families moving to Brighton has probably declined too.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Hundreds of empty school places as new term starts in Brighton and Hove

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

by Edward Elliot - PA
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 4 Aston Villa 0 Jack Hinshelwood struck twice in two first-half minutes as a rampant Brighton...

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Load More
September 2023
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News