• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Only half of new A23 cycle scheme set to go ahead this year

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 26 Sep, 2023 at 2:39PM
A A
5
Only half of new A23 cycle scheme set to go ahead this year

Only half of a new cycle lane scheme on the A23 is likely to go ahead this year because of soaring costs.

More than £900,000 of government funding, plus planning contributions and transport budget money had been allocated to buid a new cycle lane on the A23 between Preston Circus and the A27.

It had been divided into three phases, the first of which was to be the southernmost section between Argyle Road and Cumberland Road, just north of Preston Park.

The first phase has been consulted on and is now ready to progress – but “affordability” means only the section between Argule Road to Stanford Avenue – south of Preston Park – will go ahead immediately.

A report set to be approved by councillors next week says the other part of the first phase will only go ahead if funding becomes available – but does not say when this might be.

The report says: “Following the final design process, due to affordability, phase one has been split into two further phases: 1a and 1b.

“Phase 1a encompasses Argyle Road to north of the Stanford Avenue junction and Phase 1b encompasses north of the Stanford Avenue junction to south of the Preston Drove junction.

“The scheme will be progressed in chronological order with current funding priority given to Phase 1a. Phase 1b will be progressed if future funding becomes available.”

It adds: “The main alternative option would be to not approve the [scheme].

“This would risk the effective progression of the scheme and … would jeopardise the potential to achieve a local transport note 1/20 compliant scheme, which is a funding requirement.

“Moreover, this would be contrary to the wishes of the local businesses, active travel forums and others in the area who have been supportive of this measure when engaging with the council.”

The report also says the scheme will increase the number of parking bays, boosting council income, albeit by a “negligible” amount.

Councillor Trevor Muten, Chair of the Transport and Sustainability committee said: “dThis is an exciting scheme and I’m very pleased we’re now at the stage where work can begin.

“These improvements will make it easier and safer and more attractive environment for people to walk, cycle and wheel through this busy part of the city. It will also make it easier for bus users and drivers using this road.

“By providing new infrastructure, which is safe and accessible for everyone, we can encourage more people to travel sustainably and actively, freeing up space for those people who still need to use a car to move around the city.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. Bernard says:
    3 years ago

    It would have been cheaper if they had pulled their finger out and done it earlier.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      3 years ago

      “Measure Twice, and Cut Once.”

      Reply
  2. Charlie Herbert says:
    3 years ago

    All Transport projects (especially VG3) should be halted until it is proven they are financially viable. You simply can’t trust the inept and profligate council officers in the Transport and Parking department.

    Reply
  3. paul adsett / terrace cred. says:
    3 years ago

    ‘the scheme will be progressed in chronological order…’
    leaving the tardis in the carpool parking spot the?
    ironing out time warps, if not pot holes…

    Reply
  4. paul adsett / terrace cred. says:
    3 years ago

    ‘the scheme will be progressed in chronological order…’
    leaving the tardis in the carpool parking spot then?
    ironing out time warps, if not pot holes…

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Only half of new A23 cycle scheme set to go ahead this year

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
September 2023
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News