• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Relief as Brighton seafront hotel shout turns out to be false alarm

Guests return and emergency services stand down

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 30 Sep, 2023 at 8:19PM
A A
1
Firefighters called out to landmark Brighton seafront hotel

Fire engines outside the Metropole hotel - now known as the Doubletree - on Brighton seafront

There was relief as fire crews stood down and guests were able to return to the Metropole hotel on Brighton seafront at lunchtime today (Saturday 30 September).

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called to the hotel, in King’s Road, late this morning after a fire alarm went off.

Some suggested that smoke had been seen on one of the upper floors and 10 fire engines were sent to the scene.

But after a thorough check of the building, the fire service said that it had turned out to be an accidental false alarm.

Shortly after 2.15pm Sussex Police said: “All emergency services have stood down following a report of a fire at the Metropole in King’s Road earlier today (Saturday 30 September).

“Police were called to assist East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service at around 10.30am.

“The road has now reopened.”

Earlier, Sussex Police said: “We are currently assisting East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service with a fire at the Metropole hotel, in King’s Road.

“Seven fire engines are at the scene and the road is blocked.

“All hotel guests have been evacuated.

“We are asking people to avoid the area while we deal with the incident.”

The alarm was raised today just over two months after a devastating fire ravaged the Royal Albion Hotel a short distance further east along on the seafront.

The Metropole was recently rebranded as the Doubletree after being known as the Hilton Brighton Metropole for more than 20 years.

The hotel was designed by Alfred Waterhouse and opened in 1890 as the Metropole.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Benjamin says:
    3 years ago

    We were all thinking it was going to be round two…

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Relief as Brighton seafront hotel shout turns out to be false alarm

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
September 2023
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News