• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Ward councillors to object to Benfield Valley housing plan

by Frank le Duc
Monday 5 Aug, 2024 at 2:03PM
A A
13
Benfield Valley homes plans tweaked again

Three councillors have said that they will submit a formal objection to plans to build 101 homes in their ward – in Benfield Valley, just north of Hangleton Lane.

A consortium of two companies, Benfield Property Ltd and Benfield Investments Ltd, have now lodged their plans with Brighton and Hove City Council.

And the three Labour and Co-operative councillors for Hangleton and Knoll ward – Faiza Baghoth, Amanda Grimshaw and John Hewitt – have issued a joint statement in response.

It said: “We were notified on Friday evening (2 August) that a planning application had been submitted outlining plans to build houses in Benfield Valley.

“We have been clear in our position that we do not support this development and as such will be submitting objections to planning application BH2024/01720 and will encourage other residents to do likewise.

“While we understand the need for housing in the city, jeopardising the fabric of the Valley is not something we will support.

“The Valley is a valued amenity and is one which we will fight to protect.

“We will continue working with groups and individuals to ensure that Benfield remains green, for future generations to enjoy.”

Benfield Property and Benfield Investments said that, if their plans were approved, 90 per cent of Benfield Valley would remain undeveloped.

The consortium also said that 40 per cent of the proposed homes would be classed as “affordable” in line with council policy.

It owns land to the north and south of Hangleton Lane on a long lease from the council – part of what has been described as a green lung between Hangleton and Portslade.

The southern part of the site would be released as community parkland, the consortium said.

And, after comments from local wildlife groups, the housing planned for north of the road would be built slightly further east than shown in earlier plans. This would double the size of the propose wildlife corridor.

The developer said that these changes would strike the right balance between protecting the local environment and providing much-needed housing.

Benfield Barn would be restored and become a community hub with space for community events, wildlife interpretation, exhibitions, educational use and a community café.

In October 2022, the Labour MP for Hove, Peter Kyle, took part in a demonstration to “Keep the Valley Green” and spoke to a crowd of more than 200 on a rainy day.

Mr Kyle said: “We need new homes in in our community so kids growing up here can afford to live here into adulthood if that’s what they want.

“But we also need to protect our green spaces too because they are so precious. Once they’re gone, they’re gone forever.

“That’s why I joined Hangleton residents this afternoon to show my support for Benfield Valley remaining a small green spot for families to enjoy.

“The fact that so many amazing dogs were in attendance too shows just how important this kind of space is, especially for pet owners.

“I’ve been your MP long enough for you to know that I don’t oppose development often. In fact, just yesterday I visited the Hove Gardens construction site by Hove station.

“But we need balanced development that keeps the local character intact as communities evolve over time.

“Huge thanks to wonderful campaign organisers Helen Forester, Carla Blackman and Kayla Potter-Jones. This is a campaign that adds up to more than the sum of its parts and I was proud to be a part of it today.”

To view the plans for the two-acre site north of Hangleton Lane – or to comment – click here and search for BH2024/01720.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 13

  1. Barry Johnson says:
    2 years ago

    Good for them. We need to see more backbone in our Councillors.

    Reply
  2. Simon says:
    2 years ago

    NIMBY!

    Reply
  3. Catherine Goode says:
    2 years ago

    We need some green spaces left for heavens sake. It’s not nimbyism to want space for dog walkers, children to be able to explore, trees to grow, wildlife to live and survive.
    Benfield is not in my back yard or even that close to where I live so it’s definitely not a case of my view being spoilt etc. it’s an unselfish wish to have a green, unspoilt space for many people to enjoy. The feeling of being in the middle of nature it gives is irreplaceable.

    Reply
    • DDavid+Eve says:
      2 years ago

      Don’t know if you’ve noticed but we live on the South Downs. Lots of space to do your activities, and only a bus ride away.
      As for this objection, nimby nonsense.

      Reply
    • Bonny J Cother says:
      2 years ago

      Well said.

      Reply
  4. Catherine says:
    2 years ago

    Why shouldn’t people have green space within walking distance of their homes, not to have to get buses just to take dogs for a walk etc. Especially applicable to disabled and older people.

    Reply
    • BertY says:
      2 years ago

      Albeit there is Greenleas, the rest of Benfield Valley, St. Helens, East Hill, Victoria Park, and the entire SDNP within walking distance.

      Wasn’t this area previously a golf course?

      Reply
  5. Car Delenda Est says:
    2 years ago

    NIMBYs trying to keep their pockets lined as usual.
    This city is heading to the gutter and the only way to change course is to build houses.

    Reply
  6. Benjamin says:
    2 years ago

    The councillors haven’t really explained their reasoning here, unless that was from a previous statement that I am unaware of?

    The worry for me is that central government have expressed they are minded to force developments there are deemed critical. In which case, Benfield may very well be developed further than what is proposed here should it go to an appeal process.

    Compromise might be the name of the game here.

    Reply
  7. STAN REID says:
    2 years ago

    Too many wrong influences from people being paid to MANAGE not block, get things moving, more housing, more/improved infrastructure, improve the building QUALITY, get the cowboys barred from any and all public contracts,,, for life. Not everyone can have everything so some realistic compromises with realistic management needs to come into play. Clear the seafront from industry and re-develop lots of space there, like at present in Shoreham. Councillors should be evicted for lack of performance, even quicker for poor and costly decisions. They should also be barred from voting on anything that is connected to them or their families, Nepotism at its finest, look at the bin men spectacle, the fallout will take years to clear out. “Elected” Councillors at their best.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      2 years ago

      I was with you at the first part of that. Managed compromise is a good term. I strongly believe that if we don’t consider a compromise, we may get a forced deal where we have no say in the matter at all. The councillors here haven’t described their objections or compromises comprehensively here, and I think that’s an important aspect.

      However, councillors do get evicted for a variety of reasons…at elections. Which is why voting is very important.

      Reply
      • Stan Reid says:
        2 years ago

        Councillor eviction is hindered by main party policies, despite elections, look at them 2 from up North, never wanted never elected by locals and still claiming their rights and money, not just Labour at it.

        Reply
        • Benjamin says:
          2 years ago

          I’m pretty sure they were, in fact, elected by locals. Hence the election, Stan.

          Councillor eviction however is hindered by council policy and national legalisation because it excludes termination of the role unless in very limited circumstances.

          Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

1,500 homes without water

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Ward councillors to object to Benfield Valley housing plan

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
‘Love Supreme Jazz Festival’ announces full 2026 line-up

‘Love Supreme Jazz Festival’ announces full 2026 line-up

20 May 2026
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
August 2024
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News