• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Planners reject flats proposal near music venues

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Wednesday 29 Jan, 2025 at 6:53PM
A A
4
Music fans fight plans for new flats near music venues

125 Queen's Road, opposite the Hope and Ruin

A plan to build extra floors and add three flats at an office block near three Brighton music venues has been refused.

Brooks Murray Architects wanted to extend one floor and build an extra storey at 125 Queen’s Road, Brighton, opposite the Hope and Ruin and Rossi’s Bar and near the Quadrant.

Music fans sent 312 objections to the application, raising concerns about potential complaints from new residents moving into homes close to grass roots music venues.

Two Brighton and Hove City Council cabinet members objected – Labour councillors Birgit Miller and Alan Robins – as well as Green councillor Ellen McLeay, who represents the ward, West Hill and North Laine.

Councillor Miller is the cabinet member for culture, heritage and tourism and Councillor Robins is the cabinet member for sports and recreation.

Another politician was among the objectors, the former Green MP for Brighton Pavilion MP, Caroline Lucas, before she stood down at the general election last year.

The planning application did not go before the council’s Planning Committee but was decided by officials.

They said that the proposed scheme would be “overly dominant” harming the street scene and the nearby conservation areas.

The building is not in a conservation area but is near the Montpelier and Clifton Hill, North Laine, Old Town and West Hill Conservation Areas and would be visible from them all.

It is also close to listed buildings and “heritage assets” including railings on both side of Queen’s Road, the Clock Tower, Quadrant Public House and the former drill hall in Church Street.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. simon dalton says:
    2 years ago

    We have lost too many important venues here and elsewhere due to this kind of development. They destroy the very thing they come in search of, the brighton vibe. Remember developpers woul knock down the pavilion to get some flats in for money and olis would buy the lot. The people need to fight , 312 is utterly pathetic, dont you care about your town?

    Reply
    • Seagurl says:
      2 years ago

      It was rejected, there’s no need to get angry at the lack of support. It didn’t even go before the committee. If you think noone cares about music venues what about the Prince Albert. 22k+ signatures and hundreds of letters calling for rejection of the offices next door. Government granted it anyway. Doesn’t matter how much we say no, the council just see money. Music doesn’t matter to them. We don’t matter to them.

      Reply
    • ChrisC says:
      2 years ago

      Planning decisions aren’t based on the weight of numbers of for or against submissions.

      One cogent objection on planning grounds can outweigh 1,000 in favour and vice versa.

      What matters is the quality of the submission not the quantity.

      312 apparently individual submissions (rather than a single petition) is actually a very high number of submissions. Many planning applications get less than a dozen and some get none.

      Reply
  2. Jacob says:
    2 years ago

    We have to stop developers destroying Brightons culture, soon it’ll be homes for rich people and no reason to be here

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Planners reject flats proposal near music venues

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
January 2025
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News