• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Panel turns down 24/7 trading at takeaway

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Monday 1 Sep, 2025 at 11:17PM
A A
4
Panel rejects takeaway’s second application for 3am licence

Councillors said that a business owner did not appear to understand why there were restrictions on new late-night takeaways in the busy centre of Brighton.

They turned down the latest application by Bahaaeldin Abdelalim, 43, owner of the Station Grill, in Queen’s Road, for a late-night refreshment licence.

If Brighton and Hove City Council had approved the licence to trade from 11pm to 5am daily, the business would be able to stay open for 24 hours a day.

Mr Abdelalim, known as Bahaa, was previously refused a late-night refreshment licence – allowing the sale of food and drink but not alcohol – last October and in June this year.

He appealed against the first refusal – to trade until 2am on weekdays and 3am at weekends – and his appeal is due to be heard in the magistrates’ court.

The council said that Queen’s Road is in a busy area that is “saturated” with drink-led venues and late-night takeaways.

Applicants for new licences are required to show “exceptional circumstances” that would not add to existing drink-related crime and disorder in the area.

At a council licensing panel hearing on Monday 18 August, Sussex Police said that another overnight food business would provide somewhere else for people to go after drinking. And this could lead to disturbances or add to the volume of alcohol-related crime.

The panel were told that Mr Abdelalim disputed evidence in photographs showing his premises operating after 11pm on Saturday 28 June and on Saturday 26 July.

Sussex Police also said that officers had seen the restaurant operating at 11.35pm on Friday 1 August.

Mr Abdelalim presented date stamped photographs that he said were taken on Saturday 26 July at 11.26pm which he said came from an anonymous source.

But one was identified as the image used by the Local Democracy Reporting Service, taken at 1.52pm on Sunday 22 June.

The panel, consisting of three Labour councillors, Julie Cattell, John Hewitt and Alison Thomson, said that submitting an obvious fake was “not to the applicant’s credit”.

The 41 letters of support were checked, the council said, but only four people came forward to verify their addresses and two of those were from Worthing and Luton.

The panel asked Mr Abdelalim if he had sent out pre-written letters for people to sign. He denied this but the councillors found that his evidence lacked credibility because the representations were almost identical.

People who had signed representations attended the virtual hearing but did not speak when asked and one person who had agreed to speak on behalf of supporters left the meeting before he was called.

The decision letter from the council said: “Overall, the panel shares the police’s concerns that the applicant lacks understanding of the licensing regime and his responsibilities.

“Of concern was the issue around the photograph and the representations. We believe that the applicant was instrumental in creating these and that his answers on the point of his involvement were not credible.

“The panel is unable to identify conditions that would justify a licence … and lacks confidence in the applicant’s approach.

“Ultimately, the panel does not consider the applicant has shown any exceptional circumstances to enable departure from the (council’s licensing) policy.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Dave says:
    9 months ago

    Personally I think he should have to pay for wasting council time on multiple applications. Isn’t it a crime to lie, fraud… Which is what he’s done here by making all these fake letters of support. Thought that was a crime in the UK…

    Reply
    • Stan Reid says:
      9 months ago

      I think that’s a negative on future applications, no doubt many more to come

      Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      9 months ago

      Prewritten letters aren’t fraudulent though, Brighton College did the same thing for their applications.

      Reply
  2. ChrisC says:
    9 months ago

    I think on one of the previous rejections his lack of experience of operating a night establishment was cited as one of the reasons for the rejection of the application.

    So he’s not done anything about gaining any such experiences such as even just observing what happens at other late night premises in the area.

    And asking people to suport the application is fine but not preparing text and ‘say this’. Such campaigns are easily spotted by the officers who collate them for the report to the committee.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

New bus route to start next month

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Panel turns down 24/7 trading at takeaway

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Bound By The Wind, Rotunda Bubble, May 24-25th 2026

Bound By The Wind Brings The Story of Mulan

21 May 2026
Godz, Head First Acrobats, Brighton Fringe, May 2026

Godz Of Brighton Fringe

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
September 2025
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News