• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Campaigners face no further action over by-election blunder

by Frank le Duc
Friday 31 Oct, 2025 at 6:22PM
A A
2
Hundreds call for end to using schools as polling stations

Members of the community campaign group Acorn face no further action after a complaint to the police that they had broken election law by misrepresenting two candidates.

Acorn apologised on its social media accounts to Labour candidate Simon Charleton and Independent candidate Adrian Hart after the mistake in the run up to the Queen’s Park by-election last month.

The group said that Mr Charleton and Mr Hart had refused to answer questions from Acorn even though both had responded.

As a result, Sussex Police said that it had received complaint and was investigating it because misrepresenting a candidate during an election is a criminal offence.

Yesterday, Sussex Police said: “Following the recent council by-election in Brighton and Hove, Sussex Police received an allegation reporting that a possible offence, contrary to section 106 (1) of the Representation of the Peoples Act 1983, may have been committed during the campaigning leading up to the election.

“Sussex Police conducted an initial investigation to establish the exact circumstances of the report which concluded that an offence under section 106 had not been made out.

“Therefore, no further action was taken as the error was promptly corrected and publicised.

“No arrests or charges were brought in the course of the investigation.”

In a social media post before polling day on Thursday 18 September, Acorn said: “We said that he (Mr Hart) had refused to answer our questions on housing ahead of the Queen’s Park by-election and this was incorrect – he had got in touch with us but this was missed.

“We’re happy to publish Adrian Hart’s corrected stance on our three demands below and apologise again to Adrian for getting it wrong – we made a mistake and hold our hands up.

“We’re happy to say that Adrian has backed Acorn’s stances on each of the three questions and look forward to working with him if he is elected.”

Adrian Hart, left, and Simon Charleton

The questions were

  • Will you use your power to fight private developers that refuse to build affordable housing?
  • Will you ensure all council-owned land is earmarked for council housing not sold to developers?
  • Will you stand against the sell-off of the Freshfield Industrial Estate?

Mr Hart was a vocal campaigner against the development of the former American Express site.

He said: “I led the Scrap the Plan campaign in 2018 where our streets fought the developer plans for unaffordable housing in Edward Street.

“We lost but the community then won the lease of abandoned council land and that is now White Street Community Garden – a patch of land we were, in 2019, more than willing to hand over for genuine social housing.

“I’ve lived in the ward for 21 years. My son, now 21, born in Brighton and Hove, will never be able to afford to live in the city he was born. Fighting (and properly defining) the housing crisis is personal for my family.”

Acorn did not post on social media about Labour’s candidate Simon Charleton but did print and distribute leaflets stating he had refused to respond to the questions.

The union published its apology on Facebook, saying: “Acorn Brighton would like to apologise for a mistake we made in printed leaflets ahead of the Queen’s Park by-election in relation to our questions to Labour candidate Simon Charleton.

“We said that he had refused to answer our questions on housing and this was incorrect – he had got in touch with us but this was missed.

“We are publishing and distributing Simon Charleton’s corrected stance on our three demands and apologise again to Simon for getting it wrong.”

Mr Charleton, the Labour candidate, said: “Improving and building more social and affordable housing is central to everything I believe in for Queen’s Park.

“Locally, I supported the new housing development on the corner of Queen’s Park Road and Down Terrace when other candidates in this by-election either ignored it or hadn’t even heard of Queen’s Park at that point.

“I’m proud also of all the work the Labour council is doing to bring down the long list of overdue housing repairs we inherited from the Greens and the new neighbourhood teams to help tackle anti-social behaviour.”

A grand entrance into Queen’s Park

Brighton Acorn said: “Acorn reached out to all candidates but obviously wires got crossed with responses.

“We set an initial deadline of Friday 29 August for responses and, after reaching out to everyone, published the responses we had received.

“We’re happy to correct the record and are pleased both Simon and Adrian have pledged to work with us.

“We’ve corrected the online posts and leaflets and look forward to holding the winner to their word.”

The Queen’s Park seat on Brighton and Hove City Council became vacant when Labour councillor Tristram Burden resigned, citing a conflict of interest in his new job as a local authority inspector at the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

Mr Charleton and Mr Hart were among the six candidates who stood in the by-election, with polling day on Thursday 18 September.

The by-election was won by the Green candidate Marina Lademacher.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Tailor says:
    10 months ago

    Mr Charleton the houses at Queens road and Down Terrace you supported are nearly £600,000 for a three bed family home. Is this affordable housing is central to everything you believe in for Queen’s Park?

    You Campaigned on bitching about the Greens, where as the Greens policy that hit home with residents of Queen’s Park

    Labour has been majority council in Brighton the longest yet all problems lie with the Greens? No mention of austerity introduced by the conservatives and continued by blue Labour.

    Your distractions and hypocrisy is where you lost to Cllr Lademacher.

    Reply
    • Punter23 says:
      10 months ago

      Who made the complaint

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Campaigners face no further action over by-election blunder

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
October 2025
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News