• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Parent criticises ‘inadequate’ scope of school closure review

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 17 Jun, 2026 at 4:23PM
A A
0
Sinkhole appears outside financially troubled Brighton school

Middle Street Primary School

The “inadequate” scope of a review of the failings that led to the closure of Brighton’s oldest primary school could mean that key lessons are not learnt, a parent has warned.

The parent has written to Brighton and Hove City Council to highlight the shortcomings that she believes will undermine the review announced as the council prepared to close Middle Street Primary School.

Her fear is that the review focuses too much on the process and that some at the council could effectively be allowed to mark their own homework.

She is also concerned that if this were to prevent lessons from being learnt, other schools could end up failing as rapidly as Middle Street.

The school went from being successful to one that imploded in a few short years, with the council failing whistleblowers, she said, and failing to take safeguarding concerns seriously.

And now the promise of an independent review to learn the lessons could be undermined because the review is being commissioned by and reporting to a team that faces key questions.

The parent said in an email seen by Brighton and Hove News: “The scope of the review is inadequate as it appears to look at process only.

“As you must be aware, matters at Middle Street over the several years before the IEB (interim executive board) was installed involved a full suite of equalities violations and safeguarding failures.”

She cited the council and the governors’ “failure to carry out basic due diligence and reference checks” when appointing Rob Cooper as head teacher.

A representative of his former employer said that no reference had been requested.

As with Middle Street, his previous school, in Cheshire, ran up a deficit, with one former colleague highlighting a decision to employ a chef to put the school on a keto diet.

The budget at both schools also had to soak up the costs of settling employment matters, with Middle Street’s budget also strained by agency costs for supply teachers.

The parent was concerned that the council’s review appeared to be omitting whether officials at Brighton and Hove City Council took appropriate action when safeguarding concerns were reported.

She said that “irregular changes” had been made to “safeguarding records following a complaint about specific incidents”, according to a formal finding after an earlier investigation.

The parent wrote: “Multiple people who tried to raise the alarm were ignored, dismissed and made to feel they were a nuisance.

“A review with vague terms of reference, without a formal, trauma-informed process to engage victims, that only sets out to ‘identify strengths, gaps and opportunities for improvement in systems, processes and communications’ and ‘suggest lessons to be learned’ is not sufficient in these circumstances.”

She said that the terms of reference should require the review to determine

  • whether the concerns and disclosures raised by parents, carers and staff were well-founded
  • how the school, governing body, IEB and council received and responded to them including whether complaints were routed back to the people being complained about and if so, under what process that happened
  • whether these were treated as protected disclosures (and) whether the whistleblowing policy was applied and whether anyone who raised concerns suffered detriment or reprisal
  • what harm came to children and any other vulnerable people and over what period including harm that continued while concerns went unaddressed
  • whether the council and school met their legal duties, in particular, section 11 of the Children Act 2004, section 149 of the Equality Act 2010, Keeping Children Safe in Education (including safer recruitment and the head teacher’s appointment), the Education and Inspections Act 2006 framework for the content of the warning notice and the IEB, and the council’s own complaints and whistleblowing policies
  • how children and families with protected characteristics were affected, in particular, on race and on disability and autism, whether there was any real route available to raise racism and other equalities matters involving school leadership and the consequences of the council insisting parents complained directly to the previous board of governors about these matters
  • the integrity of safeguarding records including the entry found to have been added after a subject access request
  • who knew what and when among the officers and decision-makers and whether decisions were always driven by the best interests of the children at Middle Street or by managing the council’s own exposure

And she added that the review should

  • cover the period from the head teacher’s appointment to the present including the closure and its aftermath
  • give the reviewers full access to all relevant council and school records and the power to take evidence from any current or former officer, governor, IEB member or staff member
  • be genuinely independent, with the reviewers to report to an independent body or the relevant committee, not to the officers involved
  • be published without the council editing, withholding or delaying the findings
  • require the council to publish the terms, the reviewers’ names and any conflicts at the start
  • be carried out by reviewers with demonstrable expertise in safeguarding, race equality and SEND (special educational needs and disabilities) and autism
  • result in a report published in full and considered in public, with recommendations that have a named owner, a timescale and a follow-up check, remedy for those harmed and referral of any individual conduct matters to the proper bodies including the Teaching Regulation Agency and the LADO (local authority designated officer)

The LADO is responsible for handling allegations against professionals and volunteers who work with children.

The parent also asked the council to “confirm that the reviewers have been fully briefed and given the complete record, not a selection chosen by the council”.

She added: “We had a legitimate expectation that the IEB was fully briefed and it turned out it was not which left families to do that work. That should not happen again.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Most read

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Parent criticises ‘inadequate’ scope of school closure review

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
June 2026
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News