• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton seafront cycle lane fully open for first time since 2012

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 25 Feb, 2015 at 11:55AM
A A
1
Brighton seafront cycle lane fully open for first time since 2012

The cycle lane on Brighton’s seafront has fully reopened for the first time since 2012 thanks to progress restoring historic arches beneath.

Brighton seafront cycle lane open againThe lane has been cleared over a 100m stretch near the West Pier and resurfaced with smooth tarmac.

It forms part of the National Cycle Network route 2 from Cornwall to Kent and carries up to 2,500 riders a day in summer.

Lead councillor for transport Ian Davey said: “It’s great to have the cycle lane open again. I know it’s been inconvenient for cyclists to have to cross the road and thanks to them for bearing with us.

“The arches works are essential if the A259 is to remain open as a road. This is the first time a council has made a serious commitment to that since they were built over 100 years ago.”

Local cycling advocate and transport consultant Mark Strong said: “My main reaction is about time too! This is NCN2 – the council wouldn’t close the A259 for two and a half years.

“It also doesn’t look like there’s much space for pedestrians alongside the reopened cycle track – ‘share the space’ signs might be advisable until the full width of prom is reopened.”

Meanwhile works are continuing to rebuild a row of 33 new seafront arches beneath. These are scheduled to be finished in the autumn – though as with the Edward Street roadworks, such work can always be delayed by weather or building snags.

The city council’s transport department is in the middle of a £5m, three-year strengthening of the upper promenade, essential to keeping the A259 road open.

It will ensure the arches can support the current highway loadings from the road for the next 120 years. The road itself is unaffected by the arches works.

When complete the arches will be used for commercial premises, storage and beach chalets.

In a previous phase, 26 arches further west were rebuilt and turned into retail outlets and new public toilets.

The A259 reopened fully to cars last month, after partially closing in April when an arch at the Fortune of War pub underneath collapsed.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. feline1 says:
    11 years ago

    More uncritical churnalism in action here, I’m afraid: despite what the press release you cut and pasted may have said, Sustrans’ “National Cycle Route 2” does not run from Kent to Cornwall. The section passing through Brighton manages Hastings to, er, Goring-by-Sea. Good luck seeing Land’s End from there.
    And at least half this “National Cycle Route” is just ordinary road which someone has stuck a cycle route sign on – so, basically, no different from any other road then. (For instance, take the egregious section westward from Seven Sisters/Cuckmere River, where you can struggle up the hill on the A259 into Seaford as huge lorries and double decker busses squeeze past you – a fine example of a ‘National Cycle Route’.)

    Sustrans has just another of these dubious completely unaccountable “charities” basking in their tax free status as their fat cat directors enjoy their sinecure, getting to spend great wodges of tax payers’ money designating these aspirational cycle routes which don’t actually have any cycle infrastructure on them.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Brighton seafront cycle lane fully open for first time since 2012

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

by Edward Elliot - PA
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 4 Aston Villa 0 Jack Hinshelwood struck twice in two first-half minutes as a rampant Brighton...

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Load More
February 2015
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
232425262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News