• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton seafront cycle lane fully open for first time since 2012

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 25 Feb, 2015 at 11:55AM
A A
1
Brighton seafront cycle lane fully open for first time since 2012

The cycle lane on Brighton’s seafront has fully reopened for the first time since 2012 thanks to progress restoring historic arches beneath.

Brighton seafront cycle lane open againThe lane has been cleared over a 100m stretch near the West Pier and resurfaced with smooth tarmac.

It forms part of the National Cycle Network route 2 from Cornwall to Kent and carries up to 2,500 riders a day in summer.

Lead councillor for transport Ian Davey said: “It’s great to have the cycle lane open again. I know it’s been inconvenient for cyclists to have to cross the road and thanks to them for bearing with us.

“The arches works are essential if the A259 is to remain open as a road. This is the first time a council has made a serious commitment to that since they were built over 100 years ago.”

Local cycling advocate and transport consultant Mark Strong said: “My main reaction is about time too! This is NCN2 – the council wouldn’t close the A259 for two and a half years.

“It also doesn’t look like there’s much space for pedestrians alongside the reopened cycle track – ‘share the space’ signs might be advisable until the full width of prom is reopened.”

Meanwhile works are continuing to rebuild a row of 33 new seafront arches beneath. These are scheduled to be finished in the autumn – though as with the Edward Street roadworks, such work can always be delayed by weather or building snags.

The city council’s transport department is in the middle of a £5m, three-year strengthening of the upper promenade, essential to keeping the A259 road open.

It will ensure the arches can support the current highway loadings from the road for the next 120 years. The road itself is unaffected by the arches works.

When complete the arches will be used for commercial premises, storage and beach chalets.

In a previous phase, 26 arches further west were rebuilt and turned into retail outlets and new public toilets.

The A259 reopened fully to cars last month, after partially closing in April when an arch at the Fortune of War pub underneath collapsed.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. feline1 says:
    11 years ago

    More uncritical churnalism in action here, I’m afraid: despite what the press release you cut and pasted may have said, Sustrans’ “National Cycle Route 2” does not run from Kent to Cornwall. The section passing through Brighton manages Hastings to, er, Goring-by-Sea. Good luck seeing Land’s End from there.
    And at least half this “National Cycle Route” is just ordinary road which someone has stuck a cycle route sign on – so, basically, no different from any other road then. (For instance, take the egregious section westward from Seven Sisters/Cuckmere River, where you can struggle up the hill on the A259 into Seaford as huge lorries and double decker busses squeeze past you – a fine example of a ‘National Cycle Route’.)

    Sustrans has just another of these dubious completely unaccountable “charities” basking in their tax free status as their fat cat directors enjoy their sinecure, getting to spend great wodges of tax payers’ money designating these aspirational cycle routes which don’t actually have any cycle infrastructure on them.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Brighton seafront cycle lane fully open for first time since 2012

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
February 2015
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
232425262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News