• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton student’s last hours shared with jury as prosecutor vows to prove murder case

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 16 Feb, 2016 at 7:01AM
A A
0
Have you seen woman who went missing in Hove?

Janet Müller

The last hours of Brighton student Janet Muller were shared with a jury yesterday (Monday 15 February) as prosecutor Philip Bennetts said that he would prove the case for murder.

She had been beaten over the head, bundled into the boot of a car and burnt alive, dying from the fumes.

Mr Bennetts told the jury at Guildford Crown Court that the defendant Christopher Jeffrey-Shaw set fire to the car on Friday 13 March last year.

Afterwards the defendant ordered a cab from a nearby hotel using a false name and returned to London.

Janet Muller
Janet Muller

Mr Bennetts said that Janet Muller was a 21-year-old student who a few months before this incident had been experiencing mental health problems.

She had been admitted to Mill View Hospital in Hove on Tuesday 3 March but went missing from the ward on Thursday 12 March some time between 9pm and 10.15pm.

She was described by staff as very vulnerable.

The last recorded sighting of her alive was at 1.13am on Friday 13 March when she was seen to approach an unidentified car in Kingsway, the seafront road in Hove. The moment was captured on poor quality CCTV.

Mr Bennetts said that there was no evidence to suggest that the defendant and Janet Muller knew each other or associated with each other before the date of her death.

He said that at the time Jeffrey-Shaw lived at addresses in Kent and London.

The defendant was arrested on Tuesday 17 March. Shortly afterwards he said: “I’m not getting done for something I haven’t done.”

He was interviewed. He answered “no comment” to the questions put to him.

In a defence statement dated Friday 20 November he said that he did not kill Janet Muller. Drug dealers he knew had borrowed the car from him.

When they returned the car to him he was told to burn the car otherwise he would be shot. He did not know that her body was in the car when he set fire to the car.

Mr Bennetts said that when all the evidence was examined, the jury would be satisfied so that they were sure that there was no truth in that account.

He said: “The prosecution will prove that the defendant is guilty of Janet Muller’s murder.”

Jeffrey-Shaw went to Lewisham Police Station to turn himself in on Tuesday 17 March, Mr Bennetts said, because he knew he was being sought for Janet Muller’s murder.

He was arrested. And in the custody area he said: “I’m not getting done for something I haven’t done.”

He also said: “The whole things a nightmare I haven’t woken up from.”

Jeffrey-Shaw was taken to Guildford Police Station and interviewed but said “no comment” to all the questions.

A post-mortem examination found that the Brighton University student had died from breathing in smoke.

She had several cuts on her scalp consistent with being hit with a blunt weapon. The blows would have been sufficient to render her unconscious or stunned.

There was no evidence of any injuries of assault or restraint other than to the head and facial area. Those injuries were not the cause of death, Mr Bennetts said, but would have immobilised the deceased allowing her to be put in the boot of the car.

The trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton student’s last hours shared with jury as prosecutor vows to prove murder case

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
February 2016
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
29  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News