• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Sally Gunnell to hand in Brighton and Hove school sports petition

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 19 Jan, 2011 at 10:28AM
A A
0

Olympic gold medalist Sally Gunnell is to help hand in a petition about school sports in Brighton and Hove.

The former athlete, who lives in Steyning, will be joined by local parents, teachers and political campaigners at Brighton Town Hall at 1pm next Monday (24 January).

The petition was set up in November when the government announced that it was scrapping the £162 million budget for School Sports Partnerships.

Campaigners want Brighton and Hove City Council to lobby the Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government to continue funding the local partnership.

The government has since pledged to spend almost £50 million keeping the partnerships running until the summer.

It will then spend £65 million to allow one PE teacher at each secondary school to spend a day a week promoting participation in sport.

Tom French and Chris Cooke, who are running for Labour in Queen’s Park in the local elections in May, have been urging people to sign the local petition.

It has attracted more than the 1,250 signatures necessary to trigger a full council debate.

The electronic version of the petition can be seen here.

The debate is expected to take place a week on Thursday (27 January).

Mr Cooke and Mr French said on a Facebook page in support of the campaign: “It promotes sport and fitness to children across the city in 72 schools from infant to sixth form.”

Andy Marchant at Dorothy Stringer High School in Brighton runs the programme locally with an annual budget of £320,000.

On Monday (17 January) his colleague Bob Schooley, from Portslade, asked the council about its school sport funding plans given the government’s partial u-turn on Monday 20 December.

Councillor Vanessa Brown, the council’s cabinet member for children and young people, said: “It’s not quite clear yet how this School Sports Partnership funding will become available.”

She praised Dorothy Stringer for its work in leading the initiative locally, said that discussions would be held with schools in the area and added: “We value the work done by the School Sports Partnership.”

Campaigners said that the local partnership had achieved numerous successes including

  • Increasing the number of pupils receiving a minimum of two hours of PE a week from 25 per cent in 1997 to 95 per cent last year
  • Maintaining more than 60 after-school clubs alongside inter-schools competitions and events
  • Putting on festivals such as Take Part, Let’s Dance, the athletics championships, and the primary schools cross-country championships
  • Diversifying school sport by maintaining traditional sports and including a range of new activities from fencing to rock climbing
  • Providing expert PE teachers and sports coaches to all local schools
  • Fostering talent with programmes like the Leadership Academy and the Gifted and Talented Programme
  • Doing something proactive to get children fit, find sports they enjoy and tackle problems like obesity
  • Attracting more than 1,000 local volunteers to help with clubs and events – an example the Big Society in action

The petition’s signatories include the Green MP for Brighton Pavilion Caroline Lucas, her Labour predecessor David Lepper and his wife Jeane, who sits as a councillor for Hollingdean and Stanmer, East Brighton Labour councillors Gill Mitchell, Warren Morgan and Craig Turton, Moulsecoomb and Bevendean Labour councillor Mo Marsh and Patcham High School head Paula Sargent.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Sally Gunnell to hand in Brighton and Hove school sports petition

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
January 2011
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News