• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Private Eye flags up coroner’s concerns about Hove patient’s death

by Frank le Duc
Monday 3 Jul, 2017 at 4:46PM
A A
1
Have you seen woman who went missing in Hove?

Janet Müller

News and current affairs magazine Private Eye has highlighted the concerns of a coroner over a woman’ death after she twice left the psychiatric unit in Hove where she was being detained.

West Sussex coroner Penelope Schofield spoke out after a jury returned a verdict of unlawful killing in the case of 21-year-old Brighton University student Janet Müller.

Janet Müller

Miss Müller left Mill View Hospital, in Hangleton, twice in just over 12 hours. The next day her body was found in the boot of a burning car.

The criticisms at the inquest last month have been addressed in a statement by Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust which runs Mill View and the hospital’s boss apologised.

Under the head-line “Care-less killing”, Private Eye said: “Twice in one day business studies student Janet Müller, 21, was able to walk out of the Sussex psychiatric unit where she was being detained for her own safety.

“The first time she was taken back by the police after being seen in a distressed state wandering in a field. The second time she did not return.

“Her beaten body was found in a burnt-out Volkswagen the following day.

“Last year Christopher Jeffrey-Shaw, who admitted setting fire to the car, was cleared of murder but convicted of manslaughter after he claimed to have been involved with drug dealers who borrowed his car for a robbery which went wrong.

“Jailing him for 17 years, the judge told him that while the jury had found he was not responsible for the head injuries Janet had suffered, ‘you did not have the human decency to check if the person in the boot of your car was dead or alive.’

“Last week an inquest jury issued a narrative verdict suggesting Janet’s death had been wholly preventable.

“She should never have been able to walk out of Mill View Hospital in Hove once, let alone twice.

“The jury concluded that Janet had been unlawfully killed but found Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust guilty of a series of failures in her care.

Janet Müller

“These included not having enough staff on duty, incomplete and contradictory medical records and risk assessments, a lack of communication between staff and failing to make safe a garden wall over which it was known patients could flee.

“The jury had heard that two others had absconded since Janet’s death in March 2015.

“West Sussex coroner Penelope Schofield said that while improvements had been made ‘patients are still absconding and it does concern me that patients are not being protected’.

“Janet had come to the UK from Germany to study international business management at the University of Brighton in September 2012.

“She had been taken to Mill View suffering a psychotic episode and during her ten days on the ward repeatedly told staff she wanted to leave.

“On 12 March she disappeared at some point after 7.45am, later saying she had climbed over the garden wall.

“Despite Janet being on 15-minute observations, the senior nurse on the ward was not told of her disappearance and a search was not instigated for more than an hour.

“One Janet’s return a senior manager said she should be placed on constant observation and that the door to the garden should be locked.

Mill View Hospital by Paul Gillett on www.geograph.org.uk

“Instead, Janet was allowed into the garden on her own and, it appears, was only checked around once an hour.

“Despite being seen to have become distressed at around 9pm, nothing was done to ensure Janet remained on the ward. The one qualified nurse on duty was busy dispensing night-time medication.

“Last seen on CCTV in the early hours before her fatal encounter with Jeffrey-Shaw, Janet’s body was recovered later that afternoon.

“Deborah Coles, director of campaigning charity Inquest, which supported Janet’s family, said hers was the fourth death in recent years at Mill View which had attracted criticism: ‘Although she was tragically killed by a stranger, the failures in Janet’s care were not isolated incidents, which begs the question had they acted on previous recommendations would Janet still be alive today?’”

Sussex Partnership’s clinical and service director for Brighton and Hove, Gurprit Pannu, said: “I do not underestimate how difficult and painful this inquest must have been for Ms Müller’s family and friends.

“I want to offer my sincere condolences on behalf of the Trust. I also want to say sorry.”

Gurprit Pannu

Dr Pannu, a consultant psychiatrist at the trust, said: “Ms Müller was a vulnerable young woman under our care who should not have been able to leave hospital in the way she did.

“We have made changes following our own internal investigation which has included improving our security arrangements at Mill View Hospital.

“Ms Müller’s death was also included in an independent review of homicides we commissioned and published last year to make sure we embed the learning from incidents in a way that helps us improve the services we provide.

“That said, the fact remains that Ms Müller left hospital without permission while under our care.

“As clinical director responsible for our services in Brighton and Hove, I take personal responsibility for making sure we reduce the risk of anything like this happening again.

“As an NHS trust, we will reflect on the points the coroner has made today and make sure we respond to the concerns she has raised.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Hovette says:
    9 years ago

    The deaths of patients of Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust who, in conjunction with BHCC ASC are “placed” in revolting private “B&B temporary, emergency” accommodation also needs to be investigated. Caroline Lucas has tried to draw attention to this but has been rebuffed and both parties are in denial. There should be an audit of all such deaths in the last 10 years and the associated coroners records.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Private Eye flags up coroner’s concerns about Hove patient’s death

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
July 2017
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News