• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Result of train drivers’ pay deal vote due today as guards start two-day strike

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 8 Nov, 2017 at 9:39AM
A A
0
Result of train drivers’ pay deal vote due today as guards start two-day strike

The train drivers’ union ASLEF is due to announce the result of a vote at lunchtime on whether to accept a pay offer from Southern.

The ballot result will be declared hours after on-board supervisors – formerly guards – belonging to the RMT union start a 48-hour strike.

Southern said that most services would run as usual although it had already cancelled some services.

The train company has offered drivers a 28.5 per cent rise over five years, taking salaries up about £14,000 a year to about £63,000.

The union recommended the deal – the third time that it has done so this year.

On the previous two occasions, drivers turned down the offer in the long-running dispute over the driver-only operation of trains.

A number of drivers – like the RMT – have said that the dispute is about safety not money and dislike the way change has been imposed rather than negotiated.

Without guards, there are concerns that disabled people will find it harder to use the railways.

And some drivers dislike the way that Southern – and its parent company Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) – has tried to divide the unions by holding talks with one union at a time.

But the ASLEF strikes brought the network to a halt while bosses have largely managed to keep services running during the RMT strikes which started more than 18 months ago.

There is a widespread belief that civil servants at the Department for Transport (DfT) and Conservative ministers are behind cost-saving changes which threaten jobs.

Southern has promised not to make any former guards redundant during the remaining years of its operating agreement with the government which ends in 2021.

The company has also set out the exceptional circumstances when trains would run without a second person on board. These might include a guard not having arrived on a connecting service.

Drivers – as elsewhere – would take responsibility for closing train doors safely before leaving a station.

Previously guards – or conductors – closed the doors but a new generation of trains, with CCTV in the drivers’ cab, have been configured so that drivers operate the doors.

As the dispute has continued, Southern has promised to keep a second person on each train unless there are exceptional reasons.

ASLEF general secretary Mick Whelan said: “The proposed agreement on DOO (driver-only operation) means we will have a second safety-trained person on every train covered by this agreement except in exceptional circumstances.

“That person will have all the relevant safety competence including the skills to evacuate passengers in an emergency.”

As the RMT started a 48-hour strike, Southern said: “Services on most Southern routes will operate normally but there will be some alterations.

“The full Thameslink service is expected to operate on all routes.

“Gatwick Express services will not be affected by the strike but please note that some trains have been removed for the leaf-fall period.”

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: “RMT members stand solid, united and determined again this morning in the latest phase of strike action in a raft of separate disputes which are about putting safety, security and access to transport services before the profiteering of these rip-off private rail companies.

“Political and public support is flooding in as our communities choose to stand by their guards against the financially and politically motivated drive to throw safety-critical staff off our trains.

“The union salutes the members who are standing firm this morning for a safe and accessible railway for all.

“It is frankly sickening that Chris Grayling (the Transport Secretary) and his supporters are prepared to sit back and cheer on overseas operators who are robbing British passengers blind while sacrificing basic safety standards in order to subsidise transport services in Paris, Amsterdam and Hong Kong‎.

“It’s time for the government to lift the dead hand which is preventing rail companies from negotiating deals like the ones we have successfully struck in Wales and Scotland that‎ guarantee a guard on the trains.

“If it’s good enough for Scotland and Wales it’s good enough for the rest of Britain.

“Again this morning I am calling on Theresa May and Chris Grayling to call off the centrally imposed blockade on serious talks in these disputes and allow us to get on with genuine negotiations with their contractors.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Result of train drivers’ pay deal vote due today as guards start two-day strike

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
November 2017
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News