• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Court refuses to let supermarket sell drink in Brighton branch

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 6 Jul, 2011 at 6:36PM
A A
0

A supermarket chain took the council to court after being refused a drinks licence for a store in Brighton.

But the court sided with Brighton and Hove City Council and even ordered the supermarket – Sainsbury’s – to pay the council’s legal costs.

Brighton magistrates rejected the supermarket’s appeal yesterday (Tuesday 5 July) over its drinks licence application for its new North Street branch.

The court agreed that another outlet selling alcohol in the area would add to the cumulative impact of licensed premises.

In the appeal, although Sainsbury’s offered to accept more stringent conditions on its licence, the company did not prove that its application would have no negative cumulative impact.

So the council’s decision to refuse, which was in line with the city’s cumulative impact policy, was upheld.

Pleased

The city council can take into account cumulative impact as part of its licensing policy to limit the availability of alcohol in the city centre.

Councillor Ben Duncan, the council’s cabinet member for communities, equalities and public protection, said: “We are pleased that magistrates have upheld our decision which will strengthen our policy to prevent crime, disorder and public nuisance and protect public safety and children from harm.”

He said that half of 14 to 15-year-olds in Brighton and Hove had reported drinking in the previous week.

And on average 356 children aged 13 to 18 years were treated in hospital  in Brighton every year because of alcohol.

Councillor Duncan said: “The magistrates took into account the wider issues of street drinking and what can happen to the alcohol once it leaves the premises, something that licensees have no control over.

“This is a good result because it shows we have a clear policy that works, with strong partnership support. Our policy is there to make sure that we do not add to the numbers of licences where we are already at saturation point.”

Protect

Brighton and Hove’s licensing committee is seeking to extend the cumulative impact area to protect more residents and reduce alcohol-related disorder.

Broadly, the additional areas would include Brunswick Town in Hove and the North Laine in Brighton.

The cumulative impact zone allows councillors to take into account the impact of other licensed premises in the area when considering an application for a new licence or variations to existing ones.

The policy says that new licences will not be issued unless there are exceptional grounds for doing so.

The council’s licensing panel turned down the application for Sainsbury’s to sell beers, wines and spirits at 134-138 North Street, Brighton, on Tuesday 21 December last year.

Today the council said that the magistrates were particularly impressed with the police evidence.

Councillor Lizzie Deane, chairman of Brighton and Hove’s licensing committee, and Dr Tom Scanlon, Brighton and Hove’s director of public health, also gave evidence during the case.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Court refuses to let supermarket sell drink in Brighton branch

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

School building to become temporary charity hub

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

22 February 2026
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
July 2011
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News