• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Missed bin collections complaint wins determined man £50

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 27 Mar, 2019 at 1:38PM
A A
1
Brighton and Hove street cleaners pick up national award

Cityclean staff at work in St James's Street in Brighton

A 2016 picture of Citycleanworkers in St James’s Street

A man who complained about ten months of missed bin collections has been given £50 compensation by the council.

Brighton and Hove City Council told the local government ombudsman his collections had been missed because it wasn’t able to replace one of its smaller trucks which could access narrow roads like his when it was retired in late 2017.

It wasn’t until a year later, in late 2018, that CityClean agreed to walk bins to the end of the road and empty them into a larger vehicle.

The resident, who is named in the ombudsman’s report as Mr B, first complained by telephone in late 2017, raising a formal complaint in early 2018. This was closed when Mr B was reassured regular collections would resume.

But a month later, Mr B raised another formal complaint, which the council says it didn’t receive.

In mid-2018, he put in a third complaint, which the council treated as a stage 2 complaint, but still didn’t respond until the end of the year when it said that binmen would walk bins to the end of the road for collection.

Mr B was subsequently offered £50 in compensation in recognition of the time and trouble he spent pursuing the complaint and the lack of response from the service.

The ombudsman’s report says: “The council accepts regular bin collections did not take place over the course of ten months. This is fault. It also accepts the service did not respond adequately to Mr B’s complaints in late 2017 and early 2018 or do enough to ensure the service improved, which is also fault.

“In cases involving repeated missed collections, we will normally consider making a recommendation that ensures the matter is resolved and regular collections resume.

“Sometimes, where the issues are repeated over a long period of time and the council has failed to address multiple complaints, we may also consider recommending a payment for time and trouble spent bringing the complaints.

“The ombudsman encourages councils to offer remedies and will take into account any offer made. We will not interfere if we consider the proposal is satisfactory to address the injustice caused.

“In this case, the council has already put in place a remedy to ensure regular bin collections take place going forward. Mr B confirms he has not experienced further problems with missed bin collections since that point. I accept the council’s remedy is sufficient as it resolves the problem.

“The council has also offered Mr B £50 in compensation in recognition of the time and trouble spent pursuing the complaint and the lack of response from the service.

“This offer is not substantially different to any recommendation we would make in this case for a payment for time and trouble. I therefore do not suggest a recommendation to increase the amount offered.”

The report, which although only published last week is dated December 2018 (there is a three-month delay in the publication of ombudsman reports) says regular collections have now resumed.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. bradly says:
    7 years ago

    £50 was not enough …

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Missed bin collections complaint wins determined man £50

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

24 May 2026
Here’s a night out not to be missed!

Here’s a night out not to be missed!

24 May 2026
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh Delights The Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
March 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman dies as car and motorbikes crash 24 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News