• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton’s newly elected Independent councillor takes her seat

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 22 May, 2019 at 4:53PM
A A
2
Brighton Conservatives tell of their Brexit blues

Councillor Bridget Fishleigh

Councillor Bridget Fishleigh took her seat today (Wednesday 22 May) after becoming only the second Independent to have been elected in the 25 years since Brighton and Hove merged.

Councillor Fishleigh stormed through to win the largest share of the vote in the Rottingdean Coastal ward at the start of the month.

She is now the only Independent on Brighton and Hove City Council.

The only councillor previously elected as an Independent was Jayne Bennett, who first won her old Hove Park seat in 2003 and was re-elected in 2007 before rejoining the Conservatives.

Other councillors have sat as Independents after leaving their respective political parties, with the most recent being former Labour leader Warren Morgan, who joined The Independent Group, later renamed Change UK.

Topping the poll was a complete surprise for Councillor Fishleigh who was a leading fundraiser for the Saltdean Lido.

She said: “It was fantastic because it proved that if you engage with people and offer them a genuine alternative they will make the effort to vote and support you.

“I didn’t have a detailed manifesto, more several big issues that I pledged to tackle.”

Now she is in place Bridget wants to take the lead from the people who voted for her from Sussex Square to West Saltdean.

She said: “People clearly want to have a representative who lives in their community and experiences the same problems they do.

“They don’t want someone who brings politics and the blame-game into every conversation.”

Planning was one of the key issues listed on her website during the election campaign and she will spend at least the next 12 months as a member of the council’s Planning Committee.

Bridget Fishleigh

She said: “There are lots of housing projects being suggested to the east of the city that arouse strong opinions and need to be seriously scrutinised with an objective eye.”

Her particular concerns are large luxury developments on greenfield sites which do not help local families and add to congestion on the A259.

She said: “The A259 is getting worse with every month and, with various new developments planned along the coastal strip from the Marina to Newhaven, it will only get worse.

“The general feeling is that the council is ignoring the problem and don’t know what to do. However, there is already a strong campaign group with a host of ideas.”

Councillor Fishleigh also wants to deal with the issues that frustrate other residents in the area, including graffiti, rubbish and low-level vandalism.

She now has four years to find out just what can be done.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Valerie says:
    7 years ago

    With Lynda Hyde retiring it is good that another Rottingdean cllr replaces her to keep that area represented on Planning. And the Lido experience makes for a head start on getting to grips with issues. Congrats!

    Reply
  2. Lisa says:
    7 years ago

    Just bumped it not Bridget at Saltdean Park, walking our dogs
    She had just approached and spoke to the chap who lives in the rather large wood burning truck/ caravan thing parked in free car park, he’s supposed to be moving on soon!!
    Bridget seems pro-active and not afraid to tackle local issues.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Brighton’s newly elected Independent councillor takes her seat

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
May 2019
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News