• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Police order Hove councillor away from travellers camp for her own safety

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 31 Mar, 2012 at 1:16PM
A A
4

A Hove councillor has criticised the slow response of police and council officials saying that it permitted an unofficial travellers camp to quadruple in size.

Councillor Dawn Barnett contacted Sussex Police and the travellers liaison team at Brighton and Hove City Council when four caravans arrived in Greenleas Recreation Ground in Hangleton a few days ago.

Councillor Barnett, who represents Hangleton and Knoll, said that the park was a sensitive site, not least because children’s activities were supposed to be taking place there during the Easter holidays.

And she said that she had been sworn at, verbally abused and threatened but that police officers told her to go home for her own safety although she lives immediately next to the park.

Councillor Dawn Barnett

Councillor Barnett said: “The police said they were worried for my safety but it’s a public park and I’m a council tax payer.

“All the time we’ve got travellers occupying parks and public open spaces, people might wonder if they should be paying council tax for services that they can’t use.

“People don’t want to go in the park because they feel intimidated. They tried to intimidate me.

“Those occupying the park aren’t paying council tax or rent for being there.

“I asked the travellers liaison team and the police to direct them to Horsdean (the official site). There were spaces there.

“They said they’d have to ask their manager and nothing happened.

“There were four caravans there and now there are 15.”

Last year the council carried out work in Greenleas to make the site less vulnerable to unauthorised travellers camps.

And almost a year ago Councillor Barnett, a Conservative, urged travellers to leave Greenleas and go to open spaces in council wards held by Green councillors. She said that the Greens were happier to tolerate travellers.

She was reported to the council’s Standards Board over the incident. It found that she had brought her office or authority into disrepute but did not punish her. It cleared her of failing to treat others with respect and breaking equality laws.

The council said that it was assessing the impact of the incursion in Greenleas to decide what action it should take. In the mean time it would monitor the situation.

Similar camps are also being monitored at 19 Acres, next to the A27 Brighton bypass, and on land next to Ditchling Road, Brighton, in East Brighton Park and at Horsdean Recreation Ground.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Valerie Paynter, says:
    14 years ago

    If there are spaces at Horsdean you do not ASSESS! You instantly move the trespassers to Horsdean! End of!

    Reply
  2. Garth Banks says:
    14 years ago

    Get the travellers out now! They will use the Easter break to put down foundations and do other work whilst the council is closed down and the police are busy. It is a traditional travellers ploy.

    Reply
  3. Martin says:
    14 years ago

    My son and my brother’s daughter wanted to go there today. I had to tell two VERY upset 5 year olds that we couldn’t go there as it wasn’t safe. Why oh why do do they persist on getting into these places? It really does annoy me that this seems to happen all the time, and at the same places. What is wrong with the council? Do they not know how to secure places properly?

    Reply
  4. anonymous says:
    12 years ago

    i see they have left Wild park and its a shocking mess i found toilet paper in the woods from emptied “porta toilets no doubt ..” and i see the park field will need a big big bit of upkeep to clear the detritus and tyre tracks .i think i saw them heading for Stanmer park .. GREENS hurry hurry this park has for many many years been the last stand for them DONT UNLOCK THE GATES THIS TIME … Lock the doors to them when they leave the city boundaries.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Police order Hove councillor away from travellers camp for her own safety

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
March 2012
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News