• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Police order Hove councillor away from travellers camp for her own safety

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 31 Mar, 2012 at 1:16PM
A A
4

A Hove councillor has criticised the slow response of police and council officials saying that it permitted an unofficial travellers camp to quadruple in size.

Councillor Dawn Barnett contacted Sussex Police and the travellers liaison team at Brighton and Hove City Council when four caravans arrived in Greenleas Recreation Ground in Hangleton a few days ago.

Councillor Barnett, who represents Hangleton and Knoll, said that the park was a sensitive site, not least because children’s activities were supposed to be taking place there during the Easter holidays.

And she said that she had been sworn at, verbally abused and threatened but that police officers told her to go home for her own safety although she lives immediately next to the park.

Councillor Dawn Barnett

Councillor Barnett said: “The police said they were worried for my safety but it’s a public park and I’m a council tax payer.

“All the time we’ve got travellers occupying parks and public open spaces, people might wonder if they should be paying council tax for services that they can’t use.

“People don’t want to go in the park because they feel intimidated. They tried to intimidate me.

“Those occupying the park aren’t paying council tax or rent for being there.

“I asked the travellers liaison team and the police to direct them to Horsdean (the official site). There were spaces there.

“They said they’d have to ask their manager and nothing happened.

“There were four caravans there and now there are 15.”

Last year the council carried out work in Greenleas to make the site less vulnerable to unauthorised travellers camps.

And almost a year ago Councillor Barnett, a Conservative, urged travellers to leave Greenleas and go to open spaces in council wards held by Green councillors. She said that the Greens were happier to tolerate travellers.

She was reported to the council’s Standards Board over the incident. It found that she had brought her office or authority into disrepute but did not punish her. It cleared her of failing to treat others with respect and breaking equality laws.

The council said that it was assessing the impact of the incursion in Greenleas to decide what action it should take. In the mean time it would monitor the situation.

Similar camps are also being monitored at 19 Acres, next to the A27 Brighton bypass, and on land next to Ditchling Road, Brighton, in East Brighton Park and at Horsdean Recreation Ground.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Valerie Paynter, says:
    14 years ago

    If there are spaces at Horsdean you do not ASSESS! You instantly move the trespassers to Horsdean! End of!

    Reply
  2. Garth Banks says:
    14 years ago

    Get the travellers out now! They will use the Easter break to put down foundations and do other work whilst the council is closed down and the police are busy. It is a traditional travellers ploy.

    Reply
  3. Martin says:
    14 years ago

    My son and my brother’s daughter wanted to go there today. I had to tell two VERY upset 5 year olds that we couldn’t go there as it wasn’t safe. Why oh why do do they persist on getting into these places? It really does annoy me that this seems to happen all the time, and at the same places. What is wrong with the council? Do they not know how to secure places properly?

    Reply
  4. anonymous says:
    12 years ago

    i see they have left Wild park and its a shocking mess i found toilet paper in the woods from emptied “porta toilets no doubt ..” and i see the park field will need a big big bit of upkeep to clear the detritus and tyre tracks .i think i saw them heading for Stanmer park .. GREENS hurry hurry this park has for many many years been the last stand for them DONT UNLOCK THE GATES THIS TIME … Lock the doors to them when they leave the city boundaries.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Police order Hove councillor away from travellers camp for her own safety

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Load More
March 2012
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News