• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Arts and Culture

Campaigners push for Brighton Hippodrome to be listed as a community asset in bid to halt development

by bhnews
Tuesday 5 Aug, 2014 at 10:06AM
A A
8
Brighton Hippodrome tops Theatre Buildings at Risk Register

The Hippodrome in Brighton

The push to prevent the Brighton Hippodrome being turned into a cinema shows no sign of abating, with campaigners now urging Brighton and Hove City Council to declare it an asset of community value.

This would halt the Kuig Property Investments’ plans to transform it into an eight-screen cinema, cafes, restaurants and shops for six months to let the Our Brighton Hippodrome (OBH) group come up with an alternative scheme – although there is no obligation for Kuig to sell it.

Both Saltdean Lido and the Rose Hill Tavern have previously been designated ACVs.

A spokesman for OBH said: “Many present and former residents have vivid and happy memories of attending shows at the Hippodrome—memories that are treasured to this day.”

The Hippodrome was originally an ice skating rink, but then become a theatre from 1901 to 1965, then a bingo hall until 2007.

Its owners Academy Music Group attempted to keep it going as a live music venue, but failed, and are now set to sell it to Kuig Property Investments.

However, in February the Ambassador Theatre Group have since said they believe they could successfully run it as a theatre alongside their existing Brighton business, the Theatre Royal.

The council now has until 3 September to make a decision. To become an ACV, the land must have contributed to community wellbeing in ‘the recent past’, a term that is not defined in the Localism Act 2011.

OBH says they think it would be “churlish to dismiss 110 years of community value on the basis of the past seven years”.

A spokesman for the council said: “We have received a nomination for the Hippodrome to be listed as an asset of community value and are considering it at present.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 8

  1. Josephine Matlock says:
    12 years ago

    Absolutely ridiculous! It hasn’t been a theatre for donkey’s years! I hope the Council will not be so stupid to put any hurdles in the way of redeveloping this building. If this project is thwarted the building will rot because there is NOTHING else on the table. Who else has £20 million??? Cannot believe that people are supporting this petition – they are consigning the lovely old Hippodrome to the rubbish tip – just like the West Pier. Idealistic but not remotely achievable. And sorry folks but believe it or not there are people in Brighton who like eating, drinking and going to the cinema, and would welcome the regeneration of Middle Street. I might visit the theatre once or twice a year but definitely enjoy the cinema much more frequently, I would say monthly, more if the films shown are of interest. Stop holding back this town.

    Reply
    • Benos says:
      12 years ago

      I think u don’t respect value of historic buildings, Brighton has more than enough restaurants an shops, but lacks a real and historic music venue, like most city’s, There ain’t anywhere in Brighton that can accommodate any big and proper music, ok we have the Brighton centre, wot should of been knocked down years ago, an we have the dome wot is like a match box, It’s so small, Many of great bands like,The Beatles who played on three occasions, The Rolling Stones, an even Roy Orbison,So why not put the hippodrome back to its glory days, an let people from all over, say I went to Brighton hippodrome to see……. An wot a amazing venue!!!

      Reply
  2. Josephine Matlock says:
    12 years ago

    Absolutely ridiculous! It hasn’t been a theatre for donkey’s years! I hope the Council will not be so stupid to put any hurdles in the way of redeveloping this building. If this project is thwarted the building will rot because there is NOTHING else on the table. Who else has £20 million??? Cannot believe that people are supporting this petition – they are consigning the lovely old Hippodrome to the rubbish tip – just like the West Pier. Idealistic but not remotely achievable. And sorry folks but believe it or not there are people in Brighton who like eating, drinking and going to the cinema, and would welcome the regeneration of Middle Street. I might visit the theatre once or twice a year but definitely enjoy the cinema much more frequently, I would say monthly, more if the films shown are of interest. Stop holding back this town.

    Reply
  3. Josephine Matlock says:
    12 years ago

    Are the Ambassador Theatre going to pay for the restoration then? I would be most interested to hear what exactly their “commitment” is to this project. Can anyone elaborate please?

    Reply
  4. Josephine Matlock says:
    12 years ago

    Are the Ambassador Theatre going to pay for the restoration then? I would be most interested to hear what exactly their “commitment” is to this project. Can anyone elaborate please?

    Reply
  5. Rosie Cooney says:
    12 years ago

    Why have OBH only spoken up now a plan has been put forward? Before anyone judges this it is worth looking at the plans. They plan to restore the building and there’s no reason it can’t be something different in the future. The west pier is exactly an example of why this should not be stopped. The council holds residents which made this decision.

    This is the hippodromes only hope and would only boost the beauty and fun of that heart of Brighton. Let’s hope the wool isn’t pulled over people’s eyes.

    Reply
  6. Rosie Cooney says:
    12 years ago

    Why have OBH only spoken up now a plan has been put forward? Before anyone judges this it is worth looking at the plans. They plan to restore the building and there’s no reason it can’t be something different in the future. The west pier is exactly an example of why this should not be stopped. The council holds residents which made this decision.

    This is the hippodromes only hope and would only boost the beauty and fun of that heart of Brighton. Let’s hope the wool isn’t pulled over people’s eyes.

    Reply
    • Benos says:
      12 years ago

      Beauty and fun would be putting back wot is missed in Brighton a real and historic theatre and music venue, Not some eight screen cinema,when you only have one in west street or the marina !!!

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Campaigners push for Brighton Hippodrome to be listed as a community asset in bid to halt development

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
August 2014
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News