• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Arts and Culture

Brighton Hippodrome plans put on hold by Pickles

by Frank le Duc
Monday 18 Aug, 2014 at 11:27AM
A A
0
Brighton Hippodrome tops Theatre Buildings at Risk Register

The Hippodrome in Brighton

Cabinet minister Eric Pickles has put plans to convert the Hippodrome in Brighton into a cinema on hold.

The plans were approved by Brighton and Hove City Council last month, subject to a number of conditions.

But the Theatres Trust wrote to Mr Pickles, the Communities and Local Government Secretary, asking him to “call in” the plans.

This is something that he is considering. Until he has decided whether to call in the plans, the council cannot formally approve them.

Earlier this month the actor, writer and comedian Roy Hudd added his voice to the campaign against the cinema scheme with a letter to Mr Pickles. Read it here.

Mr Hudd, the Theatres Trust, the Victorian Society and many local campaigners believe that the 117-year-old Hippodrome would be damaged by the proposals.

Those proposals include creating an eight-screen cinema in the grade II* listed building and installing a mezzanine floor across the main auditorium.

Theatres at risk #1The building would also house four restaurants if the plans go ahead while some elements of the building, less historically important, would be demolished.

Extensions would be added, according to the application by Kuig Property Investments, and a new three-storey office building would be built.

The council said that the Hippodrome was built as an ice rink in 1897 then converted to a circus four years later.

By the 1960s it was a live venue and hosted concerts by the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

The venue closed in the 1960s at which point it was converted to a bingo hall, which shut in 2007.

The Hippodrome has been empty ever since and is included on “buildings at risk” registers held by the council and English Heritage because of its poor condition.

Campaigners wanted the venue restored as a theatre but a report to the council’s Planning Committee cited the district valuer saying that a theatre was unlikely to be viable.

The report said that other live venues in the area were operating below capacity or survived only with a subsidy.

The same report cited heritage experts saying that the conversion would harm the historic fabric of the structure.

But, it said, this had to be balanced with the public benefits and preservation of the building.

On the day the plans were approved at a meeting at Hove Town Hall the Planning Committee chairman Phélim Mac Cafferty said: “The scheme was approved at committee today but we now need to see whether the government wish to call it in.

“In an ideal world we would have had an application to restore this building as a theatre – something that councillors at committee repeatedly said they would have preferred.

“The sad reality of the situation is that we didn’t have that today.”

Councillor Mac Cafferty added: “The committee accepted that a theatre is unlikely to be viable. The owners are fully entitled to apply for a cinema and the council is obliged to consider it.

“The committee felt that on balance it was better to have the building preserved as a cinema than deteriorating as an empty shell.

“If a viable theatre proposal comes forward in the future the conversion is designed to be reversible.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton Hippodrome plans put on hold by Pickles

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
August 2014
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News