• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Former Brighton editor suspended from Labour party

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 27 Oct, 2016 at 9:42PM
A A
2
Former Brighton editor suspended from Labour party

Moves to remove another member of the local Labour party committee whose election was voided over the summer have begun with the suspension of Greg Hadfield

Mr Hadfield, internet millionaire and former editor of the Brighton and Hove Independent, was elected on a Momentum-backed slate as secretary of the Brighton and Hove District Labour party in July, which was overturned four days later.

Today, he announced that he has been suspended, joining Mark Sandell, who was voted as chair, who was expelled last week after his support and alleged membership of AWL, which is banned by the Labour party, became the subject of two television documentaries.
On the same day it was announced the local party would be split into three constituency parties.

Today, a Twitter account set up in the name of the city’s Labour party apparently run by the voided committee was suspended by Twitter.

Tonight, Mr Hadfield said in a blog post: “After more than 10 years as a member of Labour in in our city, I have been suspended — for the second time in just over two years.

“Apparently, I have now been accused of ‘a pattern of behaviour, including intimidation of individuals, which is capable of bringing the Labour Party into disrepute’.

“Previously, I was suspended — on a similar fabricated charge — for 11 months, before it was decided that allegations against me, made by the party’s then regional director, did not even merit investigation.

“I am confident I will be found innocent again. Eventually. But only after I have been prevented from standing as a candidate in forthcoming elections.

Mr Hadfield’s suspension – his second – comes a fortnight after he was featured in Private Eye, which ran a scathing piece on his involvement in Labour politics.

It detailed the former Telegraph and Mail journalist’s support for expelled Labour councillor turned Ukip defector Leigh Farrow, and his attacks on Hove’s Labour MP and local Labour councillors.

It said: “Hadfield’s fight for the soul of the Labour party has therefore led him to attack labour MPs and councillors, oppose the EU, defend men who are accused of harassing women and then turn out to be Kippers, and support abusive trolls.

“You can take the Momentum activist out of the right-wing press, but you can’t take the right-wing press out of the Momentum activist.”

It also alleged that despite the substantial amount of money he made from the multi-million pound sales of Soccernet and Schoolsnet, he pays party subs at the unwaged rate.

He has also publicly admitted keeping a copy of local Labour party membership lists after his election as secretary was voided.

Mr Hadfield was previously suspended from the party in 2014 after accusations of “threatening behaviour” towards fellow members and party members, but this was lifted after an investigation with a warning not to repeat any inappropriate behaviour.

Mr Hadfield says the specific details of the allegations were never officially disclosed to him, but it’s understood they included incidents outlined in the Private Eye piece, including jumping out at regional director Malcolm Powers from behind a bin.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Pingback: The horrifying scale of antisemitism in the British Labour Party | Anne's Opinions
  2. Pingback: Labour picks Trotskyite to fight Brighton council seat as Momentum plans clean sweep on the seaside – The Red Roar

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Former Brighton editor suspended from Labour party

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
October 2016
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News