• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton care home closes as owner struggles under huge debt burden

by Frank le Duc
Sunday 18 Jun, 2017 at 6:47PM
A A
1
Brighton care home closes as owner struggles under huge debt burden

Dane House stands boarded up

A Brighton care home has closed as its owner struggles under a huge debt burden, reported to exceed half a billion pounds.

Dane House stands boarded up in Dyke Road Avenue, Brighton, less than a year after an official watchdog – the Care Quality Commission (CQC) – said that it required improvement.

When the CQC carried out its inspection 19 people lived at the home which had space for 25 residents.

Its fate was sealed before Christmas as Four Seasons Health Care faced up to debts that had risen to £565 million from £510 million nine months earlier.

Debt rating agency Moody’s had already downgraded Four Seasons’ credit rating to junk status, making borrowing more expensive for the company.

Annual interest payments topped £50 million a year – more than the business was making from its day-to-day business.

The dire financial situation forced the ultimate owner, Terra Firma, the private equity business, to keep selling assets – that is, its care homes.

The company, which had 370 homes, said that having closed just over 50 of them in the previous year, it would close a similar number this year.

One of those has turned out to be Dane House.

Staff tweeted about the impending closure a few weeks ago – at about the same time that another Four Seasons home, Bon Accord, in New Church Road, Hove, was rated as inadequate by the CQC.

They said: “We are very sad to tell you that Dane House will be closing by the end of the month.

“We have had a fantastic time entertaining, making our residents laugh and smile. We have enjoyed every minute of it.”

Dane House stands boarded up

Last month Four Seasons said that it had put up fees at its remaining homes by an average of 7.5 per cent. This took the fee for an average resident – most of them funded by councils – from £617 a week in 2015 to £663.

The loss-making company blamed the rise on increased staff wages, energy bills and food costs.

But fees have been under pressure for years because of government austerity measures, which have affected local authorities like Brighton and Hove City Council and how much they can afford to pay.

Terra Firma, which sold the Odeon and UCI cinema chains last year and previously lost more than £1 billion on EMI, bought Four Seasons for £825 million in 2012.

It is expected to “restructure” its debts later this year or risk going bust although Four Seasons has been at pains to say that it is making enough money to stay afloat.

We are very sad to tell you that @DaneHouseFSCH will be closing by the end of the month. Cont.

— Dane House Care Home (@DaneHouseFSCH) May 18, 2017

Cont. We have had a fantastic time entertaining, making our residents laugh & smile, we have enjoyed every minute of it. pic.twitter.com/RiGzTfRReF

— Dane House Care Home (@DaneHouseFSCH) May 18, 2017


The company also said that its financial challenges would not affect staff or the quality of the care that they provided for residents.

Four Seasons is the biggest residential care company in the country but it has been far from alone in closing homes.

The rate of closures is running at more than 200 a year on average at a time when the elderly population is growing. About 16,400 homes are registered with the CQC, down from more than 18,000 seven years ago.

In the autumn statement last year the Chancellor Philip Hammond promised an extra £2 billion for adult social care.

But experts have suggested that it could be too little too late for a sector in crisis.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Christopher Hawtree says:
    9 years ago

    The links between Sunrise care-home conglomerate and St James’s Place annuity salespersons made very interesting reading in The Sunday Times earlier this year.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Brighton care home closes as owner struggles under huge debt burden

i360 UFO delusions lead to bus stop attacks

New Greggs update: A27 traffic chaos to end within 24 hours, says MP

Woman admits pulling fellow mum’s braids out and smashing glasses during school run attack

Three women recovered off Brighton beach not believed to have attended nightclub

Cyclist threatened to beat up bike shop staff over repair bill

Lewes brewery plans taproom and pizza restaurant next to Prince Albert

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
credit - Claire Gaby

Tonight – Bert and Nasi

17 May 2026

MEAT – preview

17 May 2026
The Doris Show, Brighton Lantern Theatre, May 14-16th 2026

Doris Daydream Brings Nostalgia

17 May 2026

Norman’s Big Day Out

16 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex chase impressive first innings total at Somerset

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
16 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 22-1 (5.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (4 points) by 504 runs Centuries...

Load More
June 2017
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News