• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Almost 400 jobs go as Lloyds closes Brighton call centre

by Sue Pearson
Monday 30 Nov, 2009 at 9:25PM
A A
1

Lloyds Bank is to close its Sussex House call centre in Brighton with the loss of almost 400 jobs, it announced today.

The Unite union said that coupled with earlier job losses, this meant 580 of the bank’s employees on the south coast in Sussex would be out of work.

The banking giant, which last year merged with HBOS, confirmed Sussex House would close in May, affecting 535 jobs.

But it said 162 employees would be redeployed, leaving a total reduction of 373 jobs.

Unite’s national officer Rob MacGregor said: “We are astounded that Lloyds Banking Group has today decided to cut 410 customer contact jobs.

“This announcement will effectively mean the closure of a significant office in the Brighton region.

“The result of this plan is that in just three weeks 580 Lloyds employees have lost their jobs in this small geographical region.

“Unite is alarmed about the consequence of this strategy by the Lloyds Banking Group. There have been in excess of 15,000 job losses announced since the formation of this organisation.”

David Nicholson, of Lloyds Banking Group’s retail division, said: “As part of our integration process, we have reviewed our contact centre sites to ensure that we are operating in the best possible way.

“We recognise that this is difficult news for our affected colleagues.

“We are committed to working closely with them to help them look for other opportunities within the group and elsewhere between now and May next year.”

Lloyds said it would try to achieve job losses through voluntary severance and making less use of contractors and agency staff, with compulsory redundancies a “last resort”.

This is the latest in a series of swingeing job cuts to hit Brighton. Last week, the University of Sussex announced it planned to cut 115 jobs to save £5million.

And Threshers announced it was to close its remaining seven stores in Brighton and Hove as part of the closure of 391 stores across the UK.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Cllr Ben Duncan says:
    16 years ago

    I’m flabbergasted: almost half the bank is publicly-owned – and I think the Government has a duty to step in and save the jobs, relocating some of the bank’s call-centre activities from India to Brighton to do so.

    It might costs the bank a little more money in the short term, but the costs to the Government – and the fabric of our society – of mass unemployment are much, much higher.

    Yet again the Government seems more interested in protecting its investments – and encouraging the banks to make as much money as they can – even at the cost of hundreds of jobs.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

New bus route to start next month

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Almost 400 jobs go as Lloyds closes Brighton call centre

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
November 2009
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News