Hove-born Peter James was the author of the most borrowed book in Brighton and Hove over the past year.
Not Dead Enough – one of the titles in his crime series about fictional Brighton detective Roy Grace – was the most popular book in the city’s libraries.
Another of the ten most borrowed books – Dead Man’s Footsteps – was also by James, who lives near Ditchling.
Back to Black by Amy Winehouse was the most popular CD while Twilight topped the list of DVD and video loans.
Councillor David Smith, the Brighton and Hove City Council cabinet member for culture, recreation and tourism, said: “The library top tens highlight the huge choice of books, films and music available at the city’s libraries.
“There really is something for everyone.
“It is fascinating to see what the most popular items are.
“I’m sure the fact that Peter James’ books are set in Brighton adds to their appeal with local readers, but I don’t think there is a particular reason why Amy Winehouse topped the music list.
“We are delighted to see Twilight topping the DVD and video chart.
“The film is very popular with teenagers and we have been actively encouraging more youngsters to use our libraries.”
Newly released films cost £3 a week to borrow, with most films costing £1.50. CDs can be hired for £1. The Jubilee Library in Brighton has an extensive world cinema section. The council also offers a subscription scheme, which cuts the cost to borrowers.
Top Ten Books
- Not Dead Enough by Peter James
- The Road Home by Rose Tremain
- A Darker Domain by Val McDermid
- Engleby by Sebastian Faulks
- Dead Man’s Footsteps by Peter James
- Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith
- The Front by Patricia Cornwell
- The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
- Hold Tight by Harlan Coben
- Exit Music by Ian Rankin
Top Ten DVDs and Videos
- The Reader
- Mamma Mia!
- Slumdog Millionaire
- The Darjeeling Limited
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- Marley and Me
- Revolutionary Road
- Gran Torino
Top Ten CDs
- Back to Black Amy Winehouse
- Rockferry Duffy
- Invaders Must Die The Prodigy
- Rolled Gold Rolling Stones
- Aha Shake Heartbreak Kings of Leon
- I am a Bird Now Antony and the Johnsons
- Cast of Thousands Elbow
- White Album The Beatles
- Only by the Night Kings Of Leon
- Concerto for Violin No 1 Karol Szymanowski