Camper van destroyed in Brighton petrol station fire

Posted On 08 Jan 2011 at 8:54 pm

A driver fled a petrol station forecourt when his camper van caught fire as he filled it with liquid petroleum gas (LPG).

The fire is believed to have started in the passenger compartment after LPG escaped into the van and was ignited accidentally by a spark.

Seventeen firefighters tackled the blazing van outside the BP garage at the Vogue Gyratory in Lewes Road, Brighton, at 9.30pm on Thursday evening.

Sussex Police diverted traffic.

The Spearhead

The van driver and his greyhound dog made it to safety along with others on the forecourt and those working at the garage.

The camper van, however, was completely destroyed.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service investigators have concluded that the fire started by accident.

Station Commander Tony Gurr, who was at the incident, said: “The management team of the petrol station ensured that all safety procedures were followed and the pumps closed down.

“Fire crews disconnected the LPG supply and did a fantastic job in adopting quick aggressive firefighting tactics, utilising firefighting foam, hose reels and two sets of breathing apparatus and stopped the incident escalating into a large scale event.

“East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service’s petroleum officer, as with all such incidents, will be visiting the site to ensure the affected pumps are safe.”

Mr Gurr praised the garage management team, saying: “The garage was evacuated within seconds and they followed all safety procedures correctly.”

Leave a Reply


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.