• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton nursery can stay open until September

by Frank le Duc
Monday 10 Jan, 2011 at 3:50PM
A A
0

A Brighton nursery that is threatened with closure will stay open until at least September.

Bright Start Nursery in Barrack Yard, off North Road, Brighton, had been expected to close in April after formal consultations with staff and parents by Brighton and Hove City Council.

But after protests and petitions by the nursery’s supporters, the council has agreed to take more time over the decision on the nursery’s future.

Council leader Mary Mears had already said that the consultation on the nursery’s closure would be extended at a stormy council meeting last month.

Councillor Vanessa Brown, the Conservative-run council’s cabinet member for children and young people, said: “Our consultation over the future of Bright Start was launched with the aim of ensuring that the council’s resources are focused on the city’s most vulnerable children with the greatest needs.

“We recognise parental concern over proposals to close the nursery in April so we propose to rule out any change in status until September this year.

Potential

“In the longer term we want parents and other interested parties to come forward to look at the potential to ensure the nursery thrives in the long term through being taken on by the community itself.

“And in fact a substantial business case has already been put forward by one parent.

“I hope others will come forward and engage constructively with the council about this opportunity to take Bright Start forward.”

The council said that delaying the closure until September would allow enough time to see whether parents, staff or others would take over the nursery as a “community asset”.

It would also, the council said, ensure consistency for the children who are due to leave the nursery for school in September.

The council said that it would consider whether higher fees and higher occupancy rates would be enough to make the nursery viable.

A report to Councillor Brown recommends that, at a meeting next Monday (17 January), she should put up the fees for the nursery.

Subsidy

The report says that the estimated subsidy for this financial year for Bright Start has increased from £87,000 to £98,800.

With the same staffing and occupancy levels and the proposed increase in fees the subsidy for 2011-12 is estimated to be £77,133.

Green Party councillors welcomed the reprieve but said that the move did not go far enough.

Councillor Lizzie Deane represents St Peter’s and North Laine, the ward that includes the nursery.

She said: “Parents may not necessarily have the time or energies required to manage the nursery.

“Most have busy working lives already which is exactly why they need the nursery in the first place.

“The council’s decision is certainly a step in the right direction but we believe the council should not abdicate responsibility for Bright Start.

“Parents have expressed a wish for the nursery to remain in council hands so we will be calling on the working group that the council is setting up to explore ways to enable Bright Start to be financially viable but continue to be council-run.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton nursery can stay open until September

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
January 2011
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News