Three sentenced for brutal robbery on Brighton beach

Posted On 25 Mar 2011 at 7:37 pm

Two men and a teenage boy have been jailed for a vicious robbery on Brighton beach in November last year.

The two men were sentenced at Lewes Crown Court today (Friday 25 March) to two years and eight months in prison.

The boy was given a 12-month detention and training order.

All three pleaded guilty to the robbery at an earlier hearing.

Detective Constable Sapna Patel, from Sussex Police, said: “The victim suffered a violent attack which included punching and kicking him while on the ground and using his head like a football.

“They stole cash and jewellery but continued with the attack after stealing his possessions despite his pleas to stop.

“This was a callous and unprovoked attack.

“The victim was subjected to traumatic ordeal.

“As a result he suffers panic attacks and is afraid to leave his house.

“I hope he feels some assurance that the offenders are now serving a custodial sentence.”

The jailed men are Christopher Smith, 20, and Joseph Baldwin, also 20, both of Commonwealth Drive, Crawley.

The third attacker is a 15-year-old boy from Crawley who cannot be named for legal reasons.

The robbery happened on Brighton Beach at 11.45pm on Tuesday 9 November 2010 when the victim, a 25-year-old man from Croydon, came to Brighton with a female friend.

He was set upon because the three attackers said they did not like the way that the victim looked at them.

The three were traced to the Brighton Beach Hotel by firearm officers after a hotel key was found at the scene on the beach.

All three were arrested and most of the property was recovered from their rooms.

Smith was also charged with two counts of assaulting a police officer and Baldwin was charged with resisting a police officer and causing intentional harassment, alarm or distress.

The pair also pleaded guilty to these charges.

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.