• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Fire chief comes to Brighton to spell out case for merger

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 6 Sep, 2011 at 5:34PM
A A
0

Chief Fire Officer Des Prichard is coming to Brighton this evening to answer questions about the proposal to merge the fire services in East and West Sussex.

Mr Prichard, who runs East Sussex Fire and Rescue, which serves Brighton and Hove, is due to explain the reasons for the proposed merger with West Sussex Fire and Rescue.

Those reasons include trying to save nearly £4 million a year over the next three to four years without damaging the level of protection offered by the two services.

The cost-cutting may involve the closure of fire stations although Brighton and Hove’s fire stations are not expected to be at risk.

The city has three fire stations – in English Close, Hove, at Preston Circus in Brighton and in Roedean Road, Brighton.

East Sussex Fire Authority has previously considered closing Preston Circus, which is expensive to maintain, and moving into the scrap metal yard in New England Street, Brighton.

The savings could also be achieved in part by introducing a combined control centre instead of one each for East and West Sussex.

A combined regional control centre was built but is not being used after public pressure prompted a rethink by the government.

Opportunity

The aim of creating a new Sussex Fire Authority is currently the subject of a formal 12-week consultation until Thursday 6 October.

Mr Prichard said: “During this process, it is essential that local people are given the opportunity to discuss the issues.

“It is equally important that their fire and rescue service has a real understanding of how they feel about the proposed merger.”

East Sussex Fire Authority and West  Sussex County Council are due to make their final decisions in December with the merged service expected to take over in April 2013.

The formal consultation document said that the Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government was reducing the grant paid to fire and rescue services.

It said: “As a result we have to make an estimated combined annual budget saving of £3.8 million over the next three to four years.”

One way of achieving this would be to streamline the top management and support staff if the two services merge.

The document also said that the merger was intended to “increase operational capacity and help preserve services”.

It added that the area to be covered by the combined fire and rescue service was equivalent to the one served by Sussex Police.

At the moment the two services are run by East Sussex Fire Authority and West Sussex County Council.

There would be some transition costs but the consultation document said: “We plan to merge without significantly increasing the cost to you through your council tax.”

After a similar meeting in Eastbourne last Thursday (1 September) he said: “It was an excellent opportunity to listen to any concerns or questions people may have and, hopefully, I was able to answer them as fully as possible.”

The meeting this evening starts at 7pm in Committee Room 1 of the Jubilee Library in Jubilee Street, Brighton.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Fire chief comes to Brighton to spell out case for merger

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
September 2011
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News