Smoke alarm saves elderly Hove man from fire

Posted On 18 Oct 2011 at 10:22 pm

A man living close to Hove seafront had a lucky escape thanks to a smoke alarm.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said that the elderly man escaped a fire at his home in Walsingham Road thanks to a smoke alarm fitted by its fire safety officers.

Two crews from Hove Fire Station were called to his home shortly before 4.40pm on Friday (14 October) after reports of a microwave on fire.

The man escaped and had to be treated for the effects of breathing in smoke. An ambulance was requested as a precautionary measure.

The fire service said that it offered free home safety visits for vulnerable members of the community.

As part of this initiative the Walsingham Road property had been fitted with alarms two years ago.

At the same time the owner had been given fire safety advice.

Community Safety Officer Steve Wright said: “By simply sharing information and referring vulnerable people to the fire and rescue service we can avert a tragedy.

“The Care Providers Fire Safety campaign aims to raise awareness among carers and caring agencies of the range of preventative work that East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service can provide for the vulnerable.”

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.