Brighton footballer cleared of sex attack as five other players are bailed

Posted On 20 Jan 2012 at 8:13 pm

Brighton and Hove Albion footballer Tommy Elphick has been eliminated from a police investigation into a sex attack in Brighton.

He was one of five Albion players who were arrested yesterday (Thursday 19 January) on suspicion of sexual assault in July.

Former Albion player Steve Cook, who now plays for Bournemouth, was also arrested as part of the inquiry.

Sussex Police released a statement at lunchtime today (Friday 20 January) which said: “A 24-year-old man from Brighton, arrested yesterday on suspicion of sexual assault, has been told that he has been eliminated from the inquiry.

“The gentlemen’s co-operation and assistance since his arrest enabled us to quickly establish that he was not of interest to us in this inquiry and he has been advised that no further action will be taken against him.”

The other five players have been bailed until Wednesday 21 March.

They are Steve Cook, 20, Anton Rodgers, the 18-year-old son of Swansea City manager Brendan Rodgers, Ben Sampayo, 19, Lewis Dunk, 20, and George Barker, 20.

  1. Murphy Reply

    Out of order for publishing there names !
    Not even guilty or charged with anything but mud sticks so this’ll stay with the boys for life !
    Wrong wrong

  2. Frank le Duc Reply

    We have published the names because rumours were circulating which inaccurately suggested other players had been accused and this was unfair on them.

    We have stuck to the facts. A serious claim has been made and, as a result, detectives have arrested those named as suspects.

    They are innocent unless and until proved guilty. When Tommy Elphick was told that he had been cleared, we reported this fairly and promptly.

    In a more open society, the names of those arrested would be publicly available. This would help prevent the unfair rumours that have harmed the reputations of innocent people this week and on many other occasions.

  3. adam titterton esquire Reply

    fair enough and a fair comment.if charged then i hope the club do not stand by them like other clubs would and sling them out, but if innocent then they should continue there careers without condition as justice would therefore be done.

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.