A 17-year-old girl from Brighton has been arrested on suspicion of wasting police time after saying that she had been sexually assaulted.
Sussex Police said that detectives had carried out a thorough investigation after she claimed to have been the victim of a sex attacker.
She said that she had been near student digs at the Sussex University campus in Falmer early on Wednesday 15 February.
The girl has been released on bail until Thursday 19 April while officers carry out further inquiries.
Last week police also closed the case after a second alleged sexual assault at the university was reported in the early hours of last Tuesday (21 February).
A 20-year-old reported being attacked close to the Lewes Court student digs on the campus.
Detective Inspector Mick Jones, of Brighton and Hove CID, said: “Sussex Police takes allegations of sexual assault extremely seriously.
“All reported offences are subject to a thorough and professional investigation with an emphasis on supporting the victim and gathering all available evidence to bring offenders to justice.
“As a result of taking this thorough approach detectives investigating the two allegations of sexual assault at the University of Sussex have established that the incidents did not take place in the manner alleged.
“We work closely with our partner agencies to help keep people safe from harm and are currently assisting the university in raising awareness of these issues.
“The introduction of Sexual Assault Referral Clinics and independent sexual violence advocates has helped us improve the service we provide to victims and I would encourage those that have been victims of this type of crime to come forward.”
LIKE WHAT WE DO? HELP US TO DO MORE OF IT BY DONATING HERE.