• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Hove shopkeeper hit by bus after warning of danger outside his store

by Frank le Duc
Friday 11 May, 2012 at 1:09PM
A A
1

A Hove shopkeeper was hit by a bus yesterday months after warning about the danger of bringing in loading restrictions outside his store.

Adam Campbell, who runs Gill’s Home and Garden in Western Road, Hove, can no longer load and unload his van legally outside his shop.

Brighton and Hove City Council changed the rules earlier this year, meaning that Mr Campbell must now either unload from across the road or carry loads from the nearest side street.

Adam Campbell

As he unloaded his van yesterday morning (Thursday 10 May) he was struck by a bus. He was taken by ambulance to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton with a suspected head injury.

Mr Campbell said: “I’m lucky to be alive. It’s my third incident with a bus this week. They’ve taken both the wing mirrors off my van.

“I had £6,000 of stock in the van which I couldn’t leave in there so I had to unload it. I had to park opposite the shop on the other side of the road.

“There was a big gap between two stationary buses and the one at the back suddenly pulled out and sent me flying through the air.

“When I landed I had pain in my head, neck and back so I just laid very still. I was carted off in an ambulance.

“I spent seven hours strapped to a back board and had to have a CT scan.”

He said that he was fortunate not to have suffered any broken bones – or worse – although he said that the soft tissue damage was painful.

Mr Campbell said: “I’m in pain in my neck and shoulders and I’ve got a headache. It’s affecting my mobility and how I work.

“The bus hit the box I was holding and that hit me, sending me flying. It was very frightening.

“When he went to pull out, I think the driver looked in his mirror but didn’t look ahead.

“The bus was jutting out into the road where he stopped and I had Brighton buses beeping at their own bus trying to get past.”

He said that, having pointed out the danger of changing the loading and unloading rules, he was considering whether to sue the council – and the councillors who took the decision.

“This is what I feared would happen when they approved this.

“I will be speaking to Brighton and Hove Buses about an insurance claim. They’ve already agreed to pay out for one of my wing mirrors this week.”

A spokesman for the council said: “We’re sorry to hear that anyone has been hit by a bus.

“The council proposed a loading ban along Western Road to combat indiscriminate parking which has been causing considerable disruption to bus services.

“It is one of the most congested roads in the city and parked cars add to this and affect other road users such as cyclists, vehicle drivers and pedestrians who have to negotiate around them.

“We also recognise that the shops along Western Road need deliveries and other servicing, so the new loading restrictions apply during peak hours only, on one side of the road between Holland Road and Montpelier Road.

“To clarify, the ‘no loading restriction’ applies between 7am and 10am and 4pm and 7pm on the north side of the road.

“This will ease congestion during peak times and enable businesses to have loading and unloading facilities on parts of the road and outside of peak times.”

Roger French, managing director of Brighton and Hove Buses, said: “We are co-operating with the police investigation into the incident yesterday morning when it’s alleged a bus hit a pedestrian.”

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Valerie Paynter, says:
    14 years ago

    There was no restriction imposed on Tesco when it got planning consent for its outlet on the corner of Holland Road (and never did explain what it did during construction with the listed bronze window frames when it replaced them with cheap tat).

    Artics often block access to Western Road outside that Tesco for ambulances, buses and cars approaching from Church Road.

    I think this man should have the right to unload outside his own shop. This is a longstanding trader and member of that local community. Commiserations to him.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Hove shopkeeper hit by bus after warning of danger outside his store

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
May 2012
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News