Estranged husband found guilty of Brighton murder

Posted On 26 Jul 2013 at 8:35 pm

A 26-year-old man has been found guilty of stabbing his wife to death outside the office where she worked in the middle of Brighton.

Ty Medland, of Cavell Avenue, Peacehaven, was convicted today (Thursday 25 July) of the murder of 24-year-old Sam Medland on Sunday 17 February after a ten-day trial at Lewes Crown Court.

Judge Anthony Scott-Gall, who will sentence him on Monday (29 July), has indicated that he should expect a sentence of at least 25 years.

At 8.45pm on Sunday 17 February police were called to Queen Square, Brighton, where Sam Medland had been stabbed.

She was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton where she died from multiple stab wounds.

Officers from Sussex Police arrested Ty Medland at the scene on suspicion of her murder.

He pleaded guilty to manslaughter on Friday 31 May but not guilty to murder. A jury, however, found him guilty of her murder.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Preston, who headed a Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team investigation, said: “Sam Medland was just 24 when she was murdered by her husband who she had been married to for just a short time.

“Medland has tried to blame his actions on his severe depression but the jury has not let him use this as an excuse.

“There were a lot of people in the area at the time who tried to help Sam and I want to thank them for their bravery in attempting to stop Ty Medland from carrying out his vicious attack.

“Our thoughts are very much with Sam’s family who have sat through the trial hearing very distressing evidence about what happened that night.

“I hope the verdict brings them some comfort.”

Sam Medland’s mum, Amelia Shah, said: “My family and I are absolutely devastated and shocked that Sam has been taken from us in such a way.

“She was in the prime of her life. She was young, beautiful, loving, and a wonderful daughter, sister and auntie who we miss terribly.

“We are all still coming to terms with her death and miss her so much. The loss is immense.

“No one should outlive their children. The actions of Ty Medland have caused devastation and heartbreak to my family.

“Through the court trial I can understand what happened to Sam and how much effort was taken to try and save her.

“We would like to thank everyone who tried to help Sam that night, especially her good friend Ben Kennedy.

“We extend those thanks to Sussex Police, ambulance and hospital staff and everyone else who has helped and supported us.

“I know we, as a family, will never get over the loss of our Sam.”

20130726-203627.jpg

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.