• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Hove eco homes protesters criticise planning meeting ‘farce’

by Frank le Duc
Monday 4 Nov, 2013 at 9:20PM
A A
4

Campaigners against the Portzed eco homes scheme in Hove have criticised planners for the way that the decision was made to approve the project.

And one the councillors who voted for the scheme has defended his decision saying that he did so only after careful consideration.

The Kingsway and West Hove Residents Association (KAWHRA) described the decision by the Brighton and Hove City Council Planning Committee as “daylight robbery”.

They said that the ground floor of their homes would be in darkness for 19 weeks a year as a result of the shadow cast by the flats.

Mike Sharman, the chairman of KAWHRA, said: “We will now have to live with Portzed forever.

“I was disappointed and angered at the split decision of the committee to allow the Portzed development by ‘Harbour View’ property developer Colin Brace to go forward.

Portzed artists impression 3“I felt that the decision had already been made and the meeting became totally one-sided without any chance to put our very strong arguments forward, other than the meagre 90 seconds allowed for our very able spokesperson Sue Moffatt.

“No one queried the accuracy of the report. Not a single question was asked of Sue or me so we had no chance or opportunity to respond to the many inaccuracies we heard from the developer and his team.

“It felt like ‘daylight robbery’ or, to coin the phrase of one of our supporters present, ‘Next time I want to watch a farce I will visit the Theatre Royal instead!’”

Dr Sharman said: “All five of the Green Party voted in favour.

“They asked us no questions and mainly non probing ones to the developer about affordable housing and business opportunities.

“Ian Davey did ask a question about how much light residents would lose and Portzed’s planning agent gave an answer that referred only to solar panels, so gave completely wrong information, which wasn’t questioned.

“The Greens later statements showed that they supported Portzed and were prepared to sacrifice local existing houses and amenities.

“I was even more disappointed that, of the four conservatives, one abstained and two voted in favour. Only one voted against.

“I can’t understand how Graham Cox when he was on the (Economic Development and Culture Committee) voted in favour of the Aldrington Basin Brief amendment height restriction of 12m, then voted in favour of Portzed, 17.8m, at this committee.

“That City Plan Development Brief decision, made only six weeks ago, had been unanimous.

“The council will somehow now need to make Portzed an exception, already suggested by planning.

Councillor Graham Cox
Councillor Graham Cox

“Will other developments now be able to copy the Portzed height? The development brief will be mocked again.

“Only the Labour councillors asked some searching questions and all three voted against.

“Our own ward councillors, Anne Pissaridou and Garry Peltzer Dunn, who have supported us throughout, did their best in the 90 seconds allowed to each but had no remit to question.”

Dr Sharman said that the tallest blocks would be just under 18 metres high, one and a half times higher than the new Vega building in Kingsway. Local lamp posts stand 10 metres high.

He added: “Much play was made of the BRE which implied there was very little loss of light to existing homes.

“The fact that houses opposite will lose all sunlight to their ground floor for up to 19 precious winter weeks did not seem to impress the councillors, or rather, they chose to ignore it.

“KAWHRA has no choice but to accept this decision. There is no appeal for us.

“We are very disappointed but will now follow what happens over the next few years with interest and close inspection.

“I for one doubt that affordable housing will be possible given the high costs of building a new massive plinth along the south Kingsway in Hove.

“No housing association has as yet agreed to be involved.

“The blocks will be built one by one and will take years to complete with Kingsway becoming a traffic-choked builder’s yard for several years.

“We did have success in stopping Portzed 1 and its faulty wind turbine set-up.

“Without KAWHRA’s intervention it could well have been permitted on the basis of similar recommendations.

“It would have been indescribably worse. So at least that was an important victory.”

Councillor Cox said on his blog: “I thought very carefully about this (the decision to vote in favour) and realise that many people who live near by are against this development.

Councillor Anne Pissaridou
Councillor Anne Pissaridou

“I read every objection I was sent and all the comments forwarded with the very comprehensive report.

“The development is an improvement on the original proposal.

“We have a severe housing shortage here and I have an obligation to consider the needs of those local people who are finding it so difficult to get their own home in the city, especially key workers on average wages.

“This was a finely balanced decision which I assure you I did not take lightly.

“As you will be aware there was a recommendation from the professional planning advisers that this permission should be granted. In the end that was the telling factor for me.

“That recommendation meant that an appeal against a refusal would be virtually certain to be successful.

“I could have voted against in the knowledge that an appeal would be successful – and then simply blamed the planning inspector.

“That would have cost the council taxpayer thousands of pounds in costs and I felt it would not have been honourable on my part to do that.

“I appreciate you will not agree and understand your disappointment but I thought you should be aware of how carefully I considered the matter and why I reached the decision I did.

“Planning is not a party political matter – hence the Conservatives on the committee voting individually (two for, one against and one abstention in this case).”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. saveHOVE says:
    12 years ago

    Legal advice can be taken as to the likely success of seeking judicial review of the planning decision taken by councillors.

    Reply
  2. saveHOVE says:
    12 years ago

    Legal advice can be taken as to the likely success of seeking judicial review of the planning decision taken by councillors.

    Reply
  3. Mohammed Asaduzzaman says:
    12 years ago

    Any thing council doing-local residents to be inclusive,
    We need to filled up housing shortage but that not meanings local residents would not be consulted? What a democracy ? Does it not allowed people to be participate to make their concern.?
    If everything become like super market then we can buy our prime minister from vegetable market.
    So I therefore urge we want farer society ,people can put their voice,and voice to be countable.
    Politics must be good policy, does not matter which party,also must be consulted for the good cause .
    More inclusion,participation and more empowerment.
    Mohammed Asaduzzaman
    Community Interest
    Brighton and Hove

    Reply
  4. Mohammed Asaduzzaman says:
    12 years ago

    Any thing council doing-local residents to be inclusive,
    We need to filled up housing shortage but that not meanings local residents would not be consulted? What a democracy ? Does it not allowed people to be participate to make their concern.?
    If everything become like super market then we can buy our prime minister from vegetable market.
    So I therefore urge we want farer society ,people can put their voice,and voice to be countable.
    Politics must be good policy, does not matter which party,also must be consulted for the good cause .
    More inclusion,participation and more empowerment.
    Mohammed Asaduzzaman
    Community Interest
    Brighton and Hove

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Mohammed Asaduzzaman Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Hove eco homes protesters criticise planning meeting ‘farce’

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

School building to become temporary charity hub

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Please Do Not Touch Preview

Please Do Not Touch Preview

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
November 2013
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News