A campaign group is to take over the running of Saltdean Lido subject to approval by councillors at a meeting next week.
The decision is due to be voted on by the council’s Policy and Resources (P&R) Committee at a meeting at Hove Town Hall next Thursday (5 December).
The CIC was set up by members of the Save Saltdean Lido Campaign, led by Rebecca Crook.
In September the CIC was named as the preferred bidder for the lease after campaigners had pressed for the previous leaseholder to be stripped of his ownership for neglecting the site.
The winning bid by the CIC promises
- a fully restored building sensitive to its Grade II* listing
- heated pool water to extend the season
- a fitness gym
- a café
- extensive community areas
- an extended library
- a heritage and education room
- improvements in environmental sustainability
Council leader Jason Kitcat, who chairs the P&R Committee, said: “Hopefully the CIC eventually taking over would be the breakthrough we’ve awaited for many years.
“They are local and highly enthusiastic people who have been asking long and hard for the opportunity to take it over.
“I really hope they achieve a fully restored Lido which becomes an asset to the community and I continue to offer them the council’s full support towards that goal.”
A report to the P&R Committee said that the multimillion-pound restoration would require the CIC to secure a lottery grant.
Only once funding was secured would the CIC be able to meet the terms of a lease and properly take over. Until this happens it is likely that the pools will remain closed.
The Lido’s previous operator handed back the keys in June last year and the building has not been opened since.
The council has since spent about £100,000 on emergency repairs and maintenance.