A woman and two children escaped from a house in Brighton after a fire started in the kitchen.
They were getting out of the house just as fire crews from Preston Circus in Brighton arrived to tackle the blaze late on Wednesday afternoon (2 April).
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property.
“They took a pan of smoking food off the stove and took it outside.”
The firefighters used an industrial fan to clear the smoke from the house in Withdean Crescent.
Watch Manager Dave Statham said: “In the event of a fire in your home, don’t try to tackle the fire yourself. Get out, stay out and call 999.
“Never leave cooking unattended – and it’s very important that you know exactly where the keys to your alternative exits are kept. You may need to access them quickly in the event of an emergency.
“Have an escape plan you can use in the event of a fire and make sure everyone in the house knows what to do.
“With the Easter holidays approaching, why not get your children involved in this and practise what to do in the event of a fire. Potentially, it could be a life-saving activity.
“And finally, smoke alarms really do save lives. They will give you extra seconds to get yourself and your family to safety in the event of a fire.
“Make sure you have them in appropriate locations in your home. Test them regularly. You need to be certain that they’ll work if you need them.”
LIKE WHAT WE DO? HELP US TO DO MORE OF IT BY DONATING HERE.