• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

How ticketing travellers’ vans in Preston Park took five days and 25 emails

by bhnews
Friday 1 Aug, 2014 at 7:00AM
A A
2

The difficulties in dealing with traveller encampments have been highlighted in a five-day discussion on how best to ticket travellers’ vans – despite the fact they would probably never be paid.

A chain of emails, sent over the course of five days in May this year, has just been published following a Freedom of Information request.

It was sparked by a tweet on May 23 complaining about travellers driving over Preston Park, where an unauthorised encampment had set up.

Hey @jasonkitcat I appreciate the delicate nature of dealing with travellers but driving across Preston Park is dangerous.

— Another Runner (@AnotherRunHQ) May 23, 2014

It then turns to the issue of ticketing vehicles parked on the grass  – complicated by a recent alleged assault on a member of the public who had challenged them, not to mention problems wardens had in the past.

Eventually, on May 27, it was agreed the police would accompany parking wardens (civil enforcement officers or CEOs) once a day – by which time 25 emails had been sent to 21 different people working for Brighton and Hove City Council, parking enforcement contractors NSL and Sussex Police – with references to further conversations too.

Giles Gailer, who sent the original tweet, was fascinated to read the correspondence, as he says he didn’t receive a direct response to his tweet.

He said: “I live near by and walk my dogs on the park several times a day, and know from personal and anecdotal experience how aggressive the travellers can be and how passive the council and police can be.

“I would want the council to be more proactive and treat the travellers the same as they treat other users of the Park. No one should be afraid of doing their job or walking across the park.

“Having seen the amount of council time that my simple tweet resulted in, I want to see my money spent in a more cost effective manner. More action is required.”

A council spokesman said: “We respond to each encampment on a case by case basis, with NSL working alongside the Traveller Liaison team and the police, as appropriate.

“We’ve also just agreed a new process (last week) where NSL will now attend the initial site assessment alongside the police and Traveller Liaison so we can determine what enforcement is possible and even give NSL the opportunity to enforce right from the outset where they can.”

The chain of correspondence was revealed in a response to a Freedom of Information request made on the WhatDoTheyKnow website and published on the council’s website here.

Council leader Jason Kitcat starts by emailing officers asking if anything can be done about antisocial driving in the park.

Councillor Pete West replies, also raising the issue of parking. He says: “This week there was an incident reported of a park user smashed over the head with a bottle by someone they challenged for parking on the grass in the park – Police investigating.

“If travellers are driving around the park I truly fear for the integrity of the parking scheme and for public safety.  Please can we press the Police to s61 [move them on for antisocial behaviour.”

An officer then queries reports that parking wardens have been told by the council not to issue tickets this time.

This is eventually passed to the contractors responsible for issuing tickets, NSL, who say they will not approach the encampment without police escort – but the police initially say that they will only attend if and when an incident occurs, and will not act as the parking wardens’ “bouncers”.

Eventually, the police agree to act as escort, and enforcement is set to begin once a day.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Pork William says:
    12 years ago

    As usual, the incompetent and incapable Green Council (typically, completely out of their depth in attempting to administer Brighton) will let gypsies run-riot around the city’s parks. Police and Council will stand-aside and watch these foul individuals engage in criminality, whilst hard-working, law-abiding tax payers bear the brunt of such behaviour.

    Not long until the wretched Greens are removed from power…

    Reply
  2. Pork William says:
    12 years ago

    As usual, the incompetent and incapable Green Council (typically, completely out of their depth in attempting to administer Brighton) will let gypsies run-riot around the city’s parks. Police and Council will stand-aside and watch these foul individuals engage in criminality, whilst hard-working, law-abiding tax payers bear the brunt of such behaviour.

    Not long until the wretched Greens are removed from power…

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

School building to become temporary charity hub

How ticketing travellers’ vans in Preston Park took five days and 25 emails

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
August 2014
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News