• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Appeal launched to help pay for Brighton Marina legal battle

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 2 Mar, 2015 at 9:18AM
A A
2
First towerblock at Brighton Marina begins to peek above the cliffs

Picture taken February 2015 by Carol Homewood

An urgent appeal to help pay for a Kemp Town campaigner’s last-ditch legal battle against the new Brighton Marina development has been launched.

Picture taken February 2015 by Carol Homewood
Picture taken February 2015 by Carol Homewood

Robert Powell has already taken his case to the High Court in a bid to stop high towers being built there, rising above the cliff top and spoiling views out to sea.

He has already raised £60,000 to fund his fight, which was dismissed last year – but now needs another £15,000 to see it all the way through to appeal.

An appeal for donations posted on the Kemp Town Society website says: “With the help of generous support, Robert was able to fund an application for Judicial Review.

“This allowed a challenge to the legality of the developer’s plans and to explain details as to why this development should not continue.

“After many months of preparation, the case was presented in the High Court of Justice London in October last year.

“Unfortunately the case was not successful, but Robert decided that with support, there are sufficient legitimate grounds to continue the fight.

“Leave to appeal was sought in December 2014 and this was granted by Lord Justice Richards.  Now Robert has to arrange for his appeal to be presented.

“As yet no date has been set, but it will take place within months.”

The fight is likely to be a difficult one, as one of the towers has already started to rise above the cliffs.

Click here for details of how to donate.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Edd says:
    11 years ago

    It makes me so depressed to think of all that money wasted on fighting something they have no realistic chance of stopping.
    Their legal team should be ashamed – this money could have been spent of something positive for Kemp Town, not throwing away on legal fees for the sake of trying to protect a small minorities view of the sea.

    Reply
  2. David Griffiths says:
    11 years ago

    Who on earth is Robert Powell? was he born in Brighton? I have spoken to many people about about this development even tourists and 90% are of the same opinion it will look fantastic!!. Great cities have tall buildings, even near marinas, Monte Carlo, Barcelona to name but two. When the 40 story block goes up along with the other buildings it will be a fantastic landmark for the city. More and more tourists are visiting Brighton and iconic buildings like this can only draw more people.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Appeal launched to help pay for Brighton Marina legal battle

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
March 2015
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News