• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Volk’s Railway puts lottery-funded makeover plans on show

by Frank le Duc
Friday 17 Apr, 2015 at 8:38PM
A A
3
Volk’s Railway puts lottery-funded makeover plans on show

Lottery-funded plans to restore and upgrade Volk’s Railway go on show on Brighton seafront tomorrow (Saturday).

The Volk’s Electric Railway Association (VERA) is putting the plans on display at the Yellowave clubhouse, in Madeira Drive, from 1pm to 5pm.

VERA said: “Plans for the rejuvenation of Volk’s Electric Railway are at an advanced stage and this will be an opportunity for members of the public to talk to the architects and consultants.

Volks Railway

“A model of the proposed new Aquarium Station and visitor centre will be on display, as will detailed plans of the new sheds at Banjo Groyne.

“Photographs of the three cars selected for restoration will also be available.

“No need to book – just drop in anytime. We look forward to seeing you and hearing your comments and suggestions.”

The plans are going on display almost a year after Brighton and Hove City Council won a £96,000 “first round bid” from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

With public backing, the plans are expected to bring a further £1.5 million from the Heritage Lottery Fund, with work scheduled to be completed in 2017.

The railway, which runs for a mile along Brighton seafront from the Palace Pier to Black Rock, opened in 1883. It is the oldest operating electric railway in the world.

The proposed visitor centre is intended to tell the story of the pioneering Magnus Volk and his narrow-gauge railway.

The project also includes plans for a conservation workshop to protect the historic carriages, enable restoration work to be viewed and provide training for volunteers to develop their skills.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Adam Campbell says:
    11 years ago

    Imagine what could have been achieved if the money being squandered on the i360 had been used to build a state of the art tram system along the seafront. Run that from Portslade to the Marina and you would see economic development wherever the stations were built, rather than just around the i360 base. If you are going to mortgage the city for decades then it had better be on somthing worthwhile. Not on a donut on a stick of rock. Use your vote wisely in May.

    Reply
    • Hjarrs says:
      11 years ago

      The Volks is an important piece of the City’s heritage, but I can’t see how it would be either practicable or desirable nor able to produce a viable business plan for a Marina to Portslade railway. It is not a mass people mover, so I don’t see it having the impact you expect without entirely changing its operation. Just maybe Marina to the Palace Pier would be feasible.

      The funding of the i360 is irrelevant, as it is not available to be spent on anything other than the i360.

      Reply
      • Adam Campbell says:
        11 years ago

        The Volks is lovely but it is a relic. We need a costal transit system that does not pollute like your beloved buses.If the money had been applied for for a tram system then thats what we would have had. Instead the greens teamed up with the tories to mortgage the city for a dognut on a stick. Unforgivable.

        Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Volk’s Railway puts lottery-funded makeover plans on show

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
April 2015
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News