• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Water contamination concerns delay Horsdean traveller site redevelopment

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 5 Jun, 2015 at 8:50AM
A A
1
Horsdean permanent pitches will be given to ‘local’ travellers

The long-awaited redevelopment of the traveller site at Horsdean has been put back several weeks after concerns were raised about water contamination at the site.

Horsdean transit site. Picture by Brighton BitsBrighton and Hove City Council said additional design work to make sure there was satisfactory drainage has delayed the start.

The site is now due to close at the end of July so work to build 12 permanent pitches alongside the 21 existing transit pitches can begin. The work is expected to take a year to complete and once reopened, it’s hoped will be a solution to the high number of unauthorised encampments in the city.

Meanwhile, the council is working with Southern Water and the Environment Agency to identify other sites where unauthorised camps could pose a risk of water contamination following the eviction of a camp from Surrenden Fields last month on those grounds.

A council spokesperson, said: “The delay in commencing work on the new permanent traveller site at Horsdean follows additional design work that was undertaken to ensure a satisfactory solution to drainage in this environmentally-sensitive area, along with the council and South Downs National Park Authority giving a community group more time to make representations in relation to the amended drainage design, which needed sign-off by SDNPA as one of our pre-commencement planning conditions.

“We have now received confirmation that we have met all of our pre-commencement planning conditions, so can move forward with the temporary closure of the site. The families currently living at Horsdean have been aware of the closure for some time and are making arrangements to re-locate while work is carried out.

“We are hoping that work on the new permanent travellers’ site will start towards the end of July.

“In relation to the Surrenden Field eviction, each encampment has to be assessed separately and this would be the case in any subsequent encampment at Surrenden Field. The issue of the proximity of travellers to the Southern Water infrastructure on this land would be taken into account in any assessment.

“We are in discussions with Southern Water and the Environment Agency to establish if there are any other locations in the city they may consider a high risk of water contamination.”

The proposal for waste water management at Horsdean is that both the permanent and transit traveller sites will be linked up to the mains sewer. This will involve directional drilling under the A27 to join with the mains sewer in Vale Avenue.

The council says this option is much cheaper than other options when on-going costs are considered, and also ensures no foul water enters the water course. It says road ‘run off’ will be comprehensively treated to ensure all oil is removed.

The new site is hoped to help reduce unauthorised encampments both by providing space for those who wish to use official sites, but also because police can only use Section 62a of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act to move on travellers if there are official transit pitches available in the city for more than three months.

It’s hoped by freeing up more transit pitches by providing permanent pitches, the police will be able to use this power more often.

If an unauthorised camp is at a sensitive site, or there is antisocial behaviour, police are able to move it on quickly without other pitches being free.

The plans for the new site were drawn up by Brighton and Hove City Council and will be funded by a government grant.

They were approved by the South Downs National Park, in whose jurisdiction the site falls, in February last year but then delayed after Eric Pickles said the Government was considering calling them in.

However, he changed his mind in June, removing the final red tape hurdle for the redevelopment.

Meanwhile, the number of unauthorised encampments doubled last year, and in March, Brighton police commander Nev Kemp warned there would be more while the site is closed.

Last week, new council leader Warren Morgan pledged to review the powers available to the council and police in dealing with travellers.

Read more about the Horsdean plans here.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. L Woolven says:
    11 years ago

    Lets hope they sort out the problem with the existing toilets which block all the time or the sewage will never reach Vale Avenue

    Reply

Leave a Reply to L Woolven Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Water contamination concerns delay Horsdean traveller site redevelopment

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Moped rider held on suspicion of drug dealing

Car showroom to become supermarket

Woman guilty of stealing hostage memorial

Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn

Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

16 February 2026
Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

15 February 2026
An aural onslaught from GBH and friends

An aural onslaught from GBH and friends

14 February 2026
Stella Rose & Bande Á Part in action in Brighton

Stella Rose & Bande Á Part in action in Brighton

13 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
3

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
June 2015
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
  • Primary school teacher charged with sexually assaulting two children 14 February 2026
  • Police staff member spared prison for having child porn 14 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News