• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Another Brighton cyclist injured by wire across woodland path

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 10 Jun, 2015 at 1:45PM
A A
0
Another Brighton cyclist injured by wire across woodland path

A Brighton cyclist who broke his collarbone after getting caught in wire pulled over a woodland path in East Brighton.

Darren GibsonDarren Gibson, 49, of De Montfort Road, was injured on Bank Holiday Monday as he rode along the path in woodland by East Brighton Golf Club at about 1pm.

Police are investigating the incident which happened in the same week two more cyclists were trapped by wires in Coldean Woods, leading to a police warning.

And police received reports of yet more wires in Coldean Woods last Thursday, although a police officers and rangers could not find any more wires that day.

Mr Gibson, a father of two, said: “We went up by the racecourse then cycle along the top and then down by the golfcourse there’s a path which goes down to Rottingdean.

“It’s quite a steep, wide path and normally you can go quite fast. I was with my brother and a friend and I was going very fast and suddenly felt my foot being dragged. I knew that there was something trying to hold me back but there was no way I could hold back because I was going too fast.

“I knew I was coming off so I went into a roll as I went over the handlebars and landing on my shoulder.

“There was a very large fence post with wire attached which had been dragged from one side of the path to the other so the wire was about two feet in the air.

I’ve broken my collarbone, I’ve got bruised ribs, and my shoulder joints have been smashed about. A physiotherapist did some work and he reckons I shouldn’t have any long term damage but it will be five to six weeks before I do any weight bearing stuff.

“The police are clearly very concerned as they’ve rung me several times and I was interviewed on Monday.

“There’s no way that post could have been there on its own. I’m not saying it’s definitely malicious. It could have been kids. But in the light of the other incidents you begin to wonder. I’ll probably never know.

“I’m not going to stop cycling but it does mean that when you going down path you can’t just be careful because there’s just no way you’re ever going to see it, even if you’re going slowly. I don’t know how I’m going to feel about it until I go out there.”

Cycling campaigner Mark Strong said he believed the “depressing” accident was the work of someone with a grudge against cyclists.

He said: “This is just too depressing. I have feeling this is not ‘just kids’ but someone with a real grudge against people on bikes.

“I suspect this is a person or people wound up by anti cycling biased pieces on radio (for example the BBC Radio 4 You & Yours feature a few weeks ago) and in print.”

A spokesman for Sussex Police said: “A cyclist has reported that his collarbone was broken when he collided with fencing on a downland footpath near the East Brighton Golf Club.

“The incident happened on Bank Holiday Monday (May 25), but wasn’t immediately reported as the 49-year-old man from Brighton did not realise at first the severity of his injury.

“It appears that a post from a wire fence alongside the footpath was lying on the side and the wire from it caught on the bike causing the rider to be thrown off.

“It is not clear whether the post had been deliberately placed, but police are investigating the incident and anyone with information is asked to email 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call 101 quoting serial 1239 of 27/05.

“We received another report on June 4 about wires in Coldean Woods, but police officers and rangers who visited the scene were unable to locate any further wires.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Another Brighton cyclist injured by wire across woodland path

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
June 2015
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News