• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Work can start on new entrance to The Lanes in Brighton

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 22 Jul, 2015 at 6:12PM
A A
0
Lanes developers in fresh bid to demolish listed shop to reveal historical cottage

An artist's impression of Puget's Lane

Work on a new entrance to the Lanes in Brighton is expected to begin after a planning application was given the green light by the government.

An artist's impression of Puget's Lane
An artist’s impression of Puget’s Lane
The application had already been approved by the Brighton and Hove City Council Planning Committee in April.

The new shopping lane, named Hanningtons Lane, will be created in in the service yard of the former Hanningtons department store.

The application, part of the regeneration of Brighton Square, will require the demolition of a Grade II listed shop currently occupied by Timpson’s.

The proposal was supported by the public and businesses, with hundreds of letters of support submitted to the council. It was also backed by three local conservation societies.

After the Planning Committee approved the application, all three Brighton and Hove MPs made representations to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government urging him not to call in the scheme.

The Secretary of State, Greg Clark, has now given the plans the green light.

John McLean, director of local architects Morgan Carn Partnership who led on the design of the scheme, said: “This is great news for our city and the project can finally get under way.

“Our councillors and MPs listened to the ground swell of support from local residents and businesses and recognised the substantial public benefits that will come from the creation of the high-quality new entrance that our world famous Lanes deserve.

“The project will provide improved links between the Royal Pavilion estate and the seafront and the opening up and restoration of the listed Puget’s Cottage behind Timpson’s, which has been landlocked and hidden from public view for over 140 years.”

Work on the project is due to begin early next year.

Ed Allison-Wright, acting for the owners of Brighton Square, Centurion Group, said: “This is a win for local democracy and testament to what ‘localism’ is all about.

“These proposals had a staggering 98.5 per cent support from the public, in addition to approval from our own elected members.

“Collectively, we can now look forward to the new owners, Redevco, unlocking one of the most interesting historical gems of our city to the public, tourists and businesses alike.

“This link lane will significantly enhance permeability from North Street into Brighton’s world famous Lanes, improving the environment for long-term economic growth.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Work can start on new entrance to The Lanes in Brighton

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
July 2015
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News