• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Health chiefs order investigation into closure of Hove doctors’ surgery

by Frank le Duc
Friday 24 Jul, 2015 at 3:17PM
A A
0
More doctors’ surgeries may close in Brighton and Hove, health chiefs warn

Goodwood Court Medical Centre

NHS bosses have ordered an investigation into the sudden closure of a doctors’ surgery in Hove.

Goodwood Court Medical Centre closed after inspectors from the Care Quality Commission (CQC) found that the risks to patient safety were too great if it stayed open.

This week James Thallon, the medical director of NHS England (South East), said: “We have commissioned an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Goodwood Court.”

James Thallon
James Thallon

Both partners in the practice, Andy Watts and Abu Osman, have been referred to the General Medical Council (GMC).

They can still work as GPs (general practitioners) but subject to conditions, including a requirement that they are supervised by another doctor.

Patients said that they had not seen Dr Osman at the practice in the weeks leading up to the closure.

Dr Thallon told the Brighton and Hove Health and Wellbeing Board that when practices closed there was often a complex mix of personal and private interest, much of which was confidential.

He cited the closure of Eaton Place, in Kemp Town, as a case where something appeared to go “catastrophically wrong” after the two doctors there handed back their contract.

But he said that the contract to run Goodwood Court had been withdrawn because of the “extremely poor quality service”.

He told the Health and Wellbeing Board meeting at the Brighthelm Centre on Tuesday (21 July) that CQC inspections of family doctors’ surgeries were new.

Dr Thallon said: “Their methods are still relatively controversial in GP-land. It’s not perfect.

Goodwood Court Medical Centre“I welcome what they’re doing because they’re telling us things about the quality of primary care that we didn’t already know.

“It would normally never be my opinion that the sudden closure of a practice was the right thing to do because there will always be unforeseen consequences.”

But, he said, “the service had fallen so far below the level that was reasonable to patients that the CQC was reasonable in the action that they took.”

He praised the Brighton Station Walk-In Centre for the immediate help that it provided and the Charter Medical Centre, in Hove, for taking over the patient list.

Charter has been given a contract to care for Goodwood Court patients until next April. The old Goodwood Court premises were not available for patient use, he said.

Councillor Dan Yates, who chairs the Health and Wellbeing Board, praised Healthwatch Brighton and Hove for the way in which it had helped patients in the days after the closure.

Dr Thallon added: “There is no doubt that the action that we took caused an amount of distress and uncertainty for patients. There is no question we could have done things better.”

He said that NHS England and others would aim to learn lessons and look at ways to improve their handling of the aftermath of the collapse of practices in future.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Health chiefs order investigation into closure of Hove doctors’ surgery

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
July 2015
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News