A late-night takeaway in Brighton has been ordered to close after complaints prompted a review of its licence by a panel of councillors.
The Golden Grill, in Pool Valley, Brighton, has 21 days to appeal against the decision. It can keep trading until it either accepts the licensing panel’s verdict or a court upholds the decision.
Chief Superintendent Nev Kemp, the police commander for Brighton and Hove, spelt them out in writing to the council.
He said that a member of staff sexually assaulted a woman at the premises three months ago.
She had asked for change for a £20 note when the employee groped her breasts. He was cautioned for the offence.
Someone kicked in the window on another occasion. And the premises repeatedly stayed open after hours.
He said that the takeaway was undermining the council’s licensing objectives and contributing to crime and disorder and public nuisance.
Chief Superintendent Kemp said: “There have been consistent failures by two consecutive premises licence holders to adhere to the permitted hours for late night refreshment.
“Golden Grill has been observed by police officers continually staying open and trading beyond its permitted hours.
“Furthermore there have been incidents of disorder, criminal damage and sexual assault at the premises.
“And a condition of the licence in relation to CCTV has been breached on several occasions.
“Despite interventions by the local authority and police, breaches of the licence conditions and incidents of crime and disorder persist at the premises.”
A third premises licence holder took charge earlier this month but this was treated as too little too late by the licensing panel, sitting at Brighton Town Hall on Friday (11 September).
The panel – chaired by Councillor Mo Marsh, sitting with fellow councillors Jackie O’Quinn and Dee Simson – revoked the Golden Grill’s licence.